Solve Relativity Questions: Spacetime Coordinates in Reference Frames

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
In summary, the event with spacetime coordinates (x, t) = (1200 m, 2.0 μs) in reference frame S has different spacetime coordinates in reference frames S' and S'', which move in the positive and negative x-direction at 0.8c respectively. Using the Lorentz transformations, the coordinates in S' are (x', t') = (2000 m, 3.33 μs) while in S'' they are (x'', t'') = (2800 m, 8.66 μs). The only difference between the two transformations is the sign of the velocity, with the gamma factor remaining the same.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

An event has spacetime coordinates (x, t) = (1200 m, 2.0 μs) in reference frame S. What are
the event’s spacetime coordinates
(i) in reference frame S′ that moves in the positive x-direction at 0.8c and
(ii) in reference frame S′′ that moves in the negative x-direction at 0.8c?

Homework Equations

x'=[tex]\gamma[/tex]x-vt
t'=[tex]\gamma[/tex]t-vx/c^2
gamma=1/root(1-beta^2)
beta=v/c

The Attempt at a Solution

ok this is wat i did since v=0 i did.
x'=[tex]\gamma[/tex]x=(1200/(1-.8^2))=2000m
t'=[tex]\gamma[/tex]t=(2x10^-6/(1-.8^2)=3.33[tex]\mu[/tex]s

x"=x-[tex]\gamma[/tex]x=1200-x'=-800m
t"=t'=3.33[tex]\mu[/tex]s

im not sure about wat I've done just having doubts, could someone please confirm, or help me fix my mistake... thx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any ideaS?

anyone?

please be patient.
most of it looks right, but I think you may have made a mistake when you were solving for x".

You also have your basic equations wrong. Check here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015
Your lucky that it didn't affect your answers though because v=0.

for example it should be
x'=(gamma) (x-vt)
NOT
x'=(gamma)x - vt

For part (i), v=+0.8c while for part (ii) v=-0.8c ...why did you have v=0 before?

ya i know i stuffed that part up... well becasue in my mind v=0 coz the event isn't moving?? and beta=0.8c?

coz if i change it to x'=gamma(x-vt)=(1200-((.8*3x10^8)*2x10^-6))/0.6=1200m?
if that's wat ur ur suggesting gabba.. beat=v/c=>v=beta*c=2.4x10^8m/s?

and t' would equal -2us?

na v has to equal 0... so x'=1200/0.6=2000m
t'=2x10^-6/.6=3.33us
im not 100% sure with x" and t"
but it makes sense to me if x"=x-x'=-800m
and because the direction doesn't effect the time then the time in both reference fromes should be equal.. thus t"=t'=3.33us??

can anymore ppl confirm this??

fredrick08 said:
coz if i change it to x'=gamma(x-vt)=(1200-((.8*3x10^8)*2x10^-6))/0.6=1200m?

fredrick08 said:
and t' would equal -2us?
These parts look OK to me.

Take the same approach for S''. What's the only thing that changes in the Lorentz transformations?

oh ok then ummm the only thing that changes is v??

so x"=x-x'=1200-1200=0m
but does t" still equal t'=2us?

can i ask doc al, y do u think that v= something when the event isn't moving?? coz its the complete opposite of what me and perillux think..

fredrick08 said:
oh ok then ummm the only thing that changes is v??
Yes. If for S', v = +.8c, what will v equal in the formulas for S''?

fredrick08 said:
so x"=x-x'=1200-1200=0m
but does t" still equal t'=2us?
I have no idea where you got these values.

fredrick08 said:
can i ask doc al, y do u think that v= something when the event isn't moving?? coz its the complete opposite of what me and perillux think..
Events don't move. v is the speed of the frame, not the event.

You need to read up on the Lorentz transformations and what they mean.

sorry i kinda just thought wat would make sense to me... so for x" and t" instead of beta=1/root(1-.8^2) its -.8? but then doesn't that negative cancel with the square??

so x"=(1/root(1--.8^2))(1200-(0.8*3x10^8)(2x10^-6))=562m?? i dotn think that's rite..

fredrick08 said:
sorry i kinda just thought wat would make sense to me... so for x" and t" instead of beta=1/root(1-.8^2) its -.8? but then doesn't that negative cancel with the square??
The value of gamma (not beta!) doesn't change, since the v is squared. But that's not the only place that v appears.

ok i found another eqn in book under lorentz... I am sorry my book is really bad, and just formulas and not words... ct'=x'=gamma*t(c-v)=2x10^-6(3x10^8-(0.8*3x10^8))/0.6=200m? y am i getting different answers for the same things??

ok yes so if x' and t' are correct then all x" and t" is...
x"=(1200-((-.8*3x10^8)*2x10^-6))/0.6=2800m
t"=(2x10^-6-((-.8*3x10^8)*1200)/(3x10^8)^2))/0.6)=8.66us?

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is comprised of two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The theory explains how objects behave in the absence of gravity (special theory) and how gravity affects the curvature of spacetime (general theory).

What are spacetime coordinates?

Spacetime coordinates are a mathematical representation of the four dimensions of space and time. They are used to pinpoint the location of an event in spacetime. The three spatial dimensions are represented by x, y, and z coordinates, while time is represented by a fourth coordinate, t.

What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a coordinate system used to measure the position and movement of objects in space. It is a set of axes that define the x, y, and z coordinates, as well as a clock that measures time. Different reference frames can have different measurements for the same event due to the effects of relativity.

How does relativity affect spacetime coordinates in different reference frames?

According to the theory of relativity, the measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's reference frame. This means that different observers in different reference frames will have different measurements for the same event. The spacetime coordinates will also be affected by the relative motion and gravitational forces between the observers.

How can I solve relativity questions involving spacetime coordinates in reference frames?

To solve relativity questions, you will need to use mathematical equations and principles from the theory of relativity. This may involve calculating the Lorentz transformation, which describes how measurements of space and time differ between reference frames, or using the principles of general relativity to determine the curvature of spacetime caused by gravitational forces. It is important to have a strong understanding of the theory of relativity and the relevant mathematical concepts to successfully solve these types of questions.