1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relevant work experience

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    I'm a 20y.o. physics student at the university of durham UK.
    I've never had a job, so I reckon by the time I graduate etc. it'll be hard for me to get started with a career because of my lack of experience.

The job market isn't exactly fruitful at the moment, people are being laid off everywhere and not many jobs about, so i've been finding it hard to find a summer job I tried getting a summer job with the DSTL this summer, but they rejected me, I even offered to volunteer at the royal observatory and they didn't even get back to me.

As there's not many people with my qualifications (i.e. like people just leaving school etc), I would've thought there may be some jobs available that I'm qualified for, (i'd rather not be stacking shelves etc, i'd like to think my education is worth something)

I'm just wondering what other jobs there are about (for the summer) that I could put my skills to? any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I just spent the last 2 hours applying to anything and everything physics related I could find on Monster.com. I cannot tell you how many leads and connections I've tried to take advantage of. I guess I have had some relevant work experience in the form of doing some research with a professor, but still nothing job related. Kinda wondering if grad school is the answer.

Also, maybe there could be some traction in applying for an internship? I know most programs are strictly for in-college students, but hey, why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook