Remedial kinetic energy equivalency question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalent kinetic energy and its potential impacts on different objects of varying masses. The uncertainties surrounding this concept, such as the role of cross-sectional area and coefficient of restitution, are also brought up. Additionally, the idea of rate sensitivity in material response and its impact on the severity of collisions is mentioned.
denver75
I'm working on a demonstration of where I want to show the equivalent result of impacts of two separate masses. I'd like to make sure I am understanding these concepts correctly (it's been more than a few years since my college level physics class).

An object weighing 100kg moving at a velocity of 20 m/s has a KE of 20,000J

To get the equivalent KE from an object that weighs 10kg, I've calculated a velocity of 63.25m/s

Now, here's my uncertainty: does this mean that an impact of the 100kg object moving at 20m/w would create the same amount of damage as the 10kg object moving at 63.25m/s? Assuming that the materials are the same, so the impact distance and rebound would be equivalent. Or are there other factors involved?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
cross sectional area might factor in , they have the same kinetic energy but
the smaller cross sectional area would focus that energy to a smaller point.

First, assume that the coefficient of restitution is 1, so that there is no "damage" (energy loss). In this case, both momentum and energy are conserved (the first mass always recoils unless M1 = M2). You have two equations in two unknowns.
Second, solve the same problem where the coefficient of restitution is zero.
Third, solve the same problem with an arbitrary coefficient of restitution.
Beware of using rolling billiard balls, because 2/7 of the total kinetic energy is rotational energy (I = (2/5) m R^2) and is not easily transferred during a collision.

Compare these two drop weight impacts:

Impact 1
Mass = 1 kg
Drop height = 2 m
Speed on impact = [tex]\sqrt {2gh} = 6.26 ms^{-1}[/tex]
Kinetic energy at impact = [tex]\frac {1}{2} m v^{2} = 19.62 J[/tex]

Impact 2
Mass = 2 kg
Drop height = 1 m
Speed on impact = [tex]\sqrt {2gh} = 4.43 ms^{-1}[/tex]
Kinetic energy at impact = [tex]\frac {1}{2} m v^{2} = 19.62 J[/tex]

Let's assume that all the kinetic energy of the impacting object (KE) is perfectly converted to elastic strain energy (W) by purely compressing a sample of the same material and dimensions:

[tex]W=\int^{\epsilon=\epsilon_{1}}_{\epsilon=0} \sigma d \epsilon = KE[/tex]

If your sample has a compressive stress-strain profile that does not vary with strain rate, the strain epsilon_1 at which this is achieved (and the subsequent stress that this is achieved at) will be the same for both impacts.

However, if your sample shows strong rate dependency (for instance most polymers) then the fact that one impact occurs at a greater initial velocity means that the material response will generally be stronger and stiffer. That's something to bear in mind when you talk about two equal-energy impacts with the same contact area - rate sensitivity in materials means you will probably see a difference in 'impact severity'.

Also, when you begin to change the contact area between collisions, you will begin to see greater differences in 'impact damage'. The large stresses created by the relatively sharp point of a bullet will create more damage in a structure than a relatively bluff ball bearing of the same mass and impact speed.

What is remedial kinetic energy equivalency?

Remedial kinetic energy equivalency is a scientific concept that refers to the conversion of different forms of energy into an equivalent amount of kinetic energy. This allows for easier comparison and understanding of energy transfer in different systems.

How is remedial kinetic energy equivalency calculated?

The calculation of remedial kinetic energy equivalency involves converting the energy of a system into joules, and then dividing by the mass of the system to determine its kinetic energy. This can be done using the formula KE = 1/2 mv², where KE stands for kinetic energy, m for mass, and v for velocity.

What is the purpose of using remedial kinetic energy equivalency?

The purpose of using remedial kinetic energy equivalency is to simplify the understanding and comparison of energy transfer in different systems. By converting various forms of energy into a common unit (joules), scientists can better analyze and evaluate the efficiency of energy transfer in a given process or system.

What are some examples of remedial kinetic energy equivalency in real-life situations?

One example of remedial kinetic energy equivalency can be seen in the efficiency of different types of engines. By converting the heat, chemical, or electrical energy used to power an engine into kinetic energy, scientists can compare the effectiveness of these energy sources in powering the engine. Another example is in the conversion of potential energy (such as in a roller coaster) into kinetic energy to determine the maximum speed and force experienced during the ride.

Are there any limitations to using remedial kinetic energy equivalency?

While remedial kinetic energy equivalency is a useful tool, it is important to note that it does not account for all forms of energy transfer in a system. For example, it does not take into consideration factors such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the actual amount of kinetic energy produced. Therefore, it is important to use this concept as a tool for comparison and not rely on it as the sole measure of energy transfer.