Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rep. Kennedy (D-R.I.) to enter rehab

1. May 5, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12634639/

Ambien is supposedly to blame :rolleyes:

although...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=137995

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't believe that they showed son Patrick sitting with dad while telling his story. If I were in his place, the last thing that I would want would be dad sitting at my side.

Yep, this one stinks.

4. May 5, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What exactly happens in the human body when you mix alcohol and medication anyhow? is it possible to have memory loss? Would make sense if he was drinking after taking medication and claims he never drank.

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    Like father, like son! Ah, old adages never loose their cruel barb.

6. May 5, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think Ambien, a sleep medication, would certainly make one drowsy, and others have mentioned doing things without knowing while under the influence of Ambien.

I can't imagine that he was not aware that he was drinking, especially if a witness saw him drinking at a bar. Besides drinking, what the heck would he be doing at a bar after midnight during the week? :rolleyes:

I have never been unaware that I was drinking.

7. May 5, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well what's all this about Ambien? Aren't they investigating some rather nasty side effects people are claiming it has?

8. May 5, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Warning from manufacturer Sanofi-aventis.

In other words, take just before going to sleep.

Also

from Sanofi-aventis.

9. May 5, 2006 #8

Art

He has probably managed to obfuscate the issue sufficiently to reduce it from a 100% certainty to a 99% probability that he was drinking and driving but I doubt many people will be convinced by his story.

10. May 5, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well i don't know how much i can really trust a waitress come to think of it. But then again this hwole thing with being told not to do sobriety tests is pretty bad

11. May 5, 2006 #10
    I have never had much respected for U.S. Representatives. They're like senator wannabes, not quite good enough. Some of them don't appear to have graduated high school. Last month one of them assaulted a capitol police officer. This one apparently goes to bars on weekdays, while on Ambien. :grumpy:

Is there a rule about voting in the U.S. Congress, while under the influence?

12. May 5, 2006 #11
    Oh yeah, how many Kennedy crashes are we up to now? Is anyone counting?

13. May 5, 2006 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least when you ask Ted Kennedy that question, his reply won't be quite as rude as it used to.

14. May 5, 2006 #13
    What about the rest of congress?

15. May 5, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, you must have a BAL of >0.8

16. May 5, 2006 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

Per the news today, Pat Kennedy is entering rehab for pain medication - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12634639/

Perhaps Rush Limbaugh and Patrick can go together? Here we are, a nation losing the war on drugs, the most recent being meth. But good old prescription drugs--this has been a long standing problem indeed.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  17. May 5, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe Rush can run for Congress?

18. May 5, 2006 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3158206/

Aside from Limbaugh being a total quack, he broke the law to feed his addiction. I think an honorary member is as close as he'll get as he looks through the bars of a jail cell.

19. May 5, 2006 #18

Astronuc

The story I heard on the radio is that Kennedy had taken the sleeping aid, then later, somehow thought he had to go to the Capitol to vote. Congress had adjourned hours earlier.

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (Ga 4th dist) assaulted a Capitol police officer, who did not recognize her and attempted to detain her when she passed by.

20. May 5, 2006 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

McKinney probably needs a little anger management, like who doesn't these days?

As for Pat Kennedy, he has suffered from depression in the past, and both depression and long-term use of pain medication can cause sleep disorders. So I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick was taking Ambien. On top of it all he was taking something for nausea (stomach problems), and even over-the-counter products like Dramamine can make you drowsy. It remains unknown if the cocktail of substances included alcohol.

Pat Kennedy is saying he does not remember anything of the incident, which occurred in the middle of the night. Bizarre. And though all this may be legal prescriptions, the guy needs to get off all the meds. Good for him for checking into rehab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?