Reporting my own post to bring this to the attention of a moderator.

In summary, Einstein strongly rejected the idea of time machines, but his theory of relativity suggests that time travel may be possible if wormholes exist. However, this would require something to travel infinitely fast and have its own gravitational field. There is also the potential for paradoxes and it is not clear if such spacetimes exist in nature. Einstein may have disliked the idea of time travel because of the potential for paradoxes. The concept of causality is also complicated in relativity as events can appear to occur before or after each other depending on the observer's perspective. The order of events is determined by whether they are time-like, light-like, or space-like separated.
e-pie said:
Off topic

Why is each post duplicating?Happening to me also.
It was likely due to a forum speed issue that should be cleared up now. If you see any other double-posts, just click the Report link to bring it to the attention of the Mentors so we can fix it up. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to keep both waiting. I studied Einstein's Train Thought Experiment from Wikipedia.

In short what I understood:

Two lightnings struck on a train moving uniformly ie inertial. To the standing observer outside of train frame the events have two space coordinates but same time coordinates but as the train is moving uniformly, to the observer in train the events have two time coordinates.

That is, simultaneity depends on reference frame?

Please comment if anything is wrong

Last edited:
Questions coming to my mind are off-topic(this post).

I will try to start new threads regarding those questions.

For the time being, please comment to post 37.Correct me/add something extra.

After your comments, I will end this discussion here and start new threads about relevant questions.Thanks to both. And the mentors, for their technical help.

e-pie said:
That is, simultaneity depends on reference frame?
Yes.

New threads should probably go in the relativity forum - it's not general discussion. This thread probably should be moved there, actually.

Ibix said:
This thread probably should be moved there, actually.

Right I started this thread to get some definitive sources vide post 1. But the discussion culminated into a "scientific" one.
Thanks to both.

Any mentor want to do it?

Ibix said:
This thread probably should be moved there, actually.

Thanks for your reply. I will start new threads as promised and in time.

Am reporting my own post to get this into moderator's notice.

Last edited: