Democracy vs Republic: Questions on US Unalienable Rights

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
In summary, the United States is considered a republic because it operates under a representative form of government. While the majority of people can vote for representatives and the majority of representatives can vote on amendments to the constitution and bill of rights, the process for changing these rights is complex and requires a significant majority. Therefore, the US is not a direct democracy where the majority can vote on individual rights, but rather a republic where the people's representatives make decisions on their behalf.
jaydnul
I'm just curious, and can't find an answer to my specific question. If the majority of people can vote on representatives, and the majority of representatives can vote on AMENDMENTS to the constitution/bill of rights, then how is America still considered a republic when at some point the majority can vote on the unalienable rights given to the individual?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
I'm just curious, and can't find an answer to my specific question. If the majority of people can vote on representatives, and the majority of representatives can vote on AMENDMENTS to the constitution/bill of rights, then how is America still considered a republic when at some point the majority can vote on the unalienable rights given to the individual?

First, a republic is not necessarily a democracy and democracies need not be republics. The US is a republic and a democracy. North Korea is technically a republic, but not a democracy. Canada is a democracy and a constitutional monarchy, not a republic.

I'm not sure what you mean by a majority can vote on "inalienable" rights. A constitutional amendment must pass both houses of Congress by a 2/3 majority. It then goes to the states where 3/4 of the state legislatures must act to pass it. I suppose it's possible that the Bill of Rights (the first 10 amendments) could be altered by this process. It's contradictory that a democracy could be sustained by unconstitutional force, so I suppose a constitutional process could alter or eliminate the people's rights. Until that happens, the US is an indirect democracy with some examples of direct democracy at the state level (initiative and referendum).

Last edited:
Likes mheslep, Vanadium 50 and Electron Spin

1. What is the difference between a democracy and a republic?

A democracy is a form of government where the power is held by the majority of the people, often through elected representatives. A republic, on the other hand, is a form of government where the power is held by elected representatives and leaders who are responsible to the citizens of the country.

2. What are unalienable rights and how do they relate to democracy and republicanism?

Unalienable rights are rights that are considered to be inherent to all human beings and cannot be taken away or given up. These rights, such as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, are often seen as a cornerstone of democracy and republicanism, as they ensure that all citizens have equal protection and opportunity under the law.

3. Are democracy and republicanism mutually exclusive?

No, democracy and republicanism are not mutually exclusive. In fact, many democratic countries, including the United States, operate as republics. This means that while the people hold the power through elected representatives, the government still operates under a set of laws and principles that protect the rights of the citizens.

4. How do unalienable rights impact the US political system?

Unalienable rights play a crucial role in the US political system as they are seen as the foundation of a just and fair government. These rights are enshrined in the US Constitution and are protected by the government through checks and balances. They also serve as a guide for citizens to hold their government accountable and ensure that their rights are not violated.

5. Is the concept of unalienable rights unique to the US?

No, the concept of unalienable rights is not unique to the US. It has roots in ancient philosophy and has been adopted by many countries around the world. However, the US is one of the first countries to explicitly list these rights in its founding documents, making them a central part of its political system and identity.