Req of this series/parallel circuit?

• Thread starter letsgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the circuit consists of four resistors (R1, R2, R3, R4) with a source connected to R3. The grey wire connected to R3 represents a zero Ohm resistor, making R3 in parallel with zero Ohms. This reduces the circuit to three resistors (R1, R2, R4) in a series-parallel configuration. Using the equations for equivalent resistance in series and parallel, the final value of Req is calculated to be 266.7 ohms. The potential difference between points P and Q is also determined to be zero, as the current is zero in an open switch situation.
letsgo

Homework Statement

What is the Req of this circuit?
The answer should be 150 ohms, but I can't get that.

Homework Equations

Req = R1 + R2
1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I treat R1 and R3 as series, I get R13= 200 ohms.
Then if I treat R13 and R2 and parallel I get R123 = 66.7 ohms.
Then if I treat R123 and R4 as series, I get Req = 266.7 ohms.

Also, since the current is 0 (open switch), then the potential difference between points P and Q would also be 0, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A hint..

There appears to be a wire (grey) connected from one end of R3 to the other end. What does that mean for the voltage across R3 or R3 in general?

CWatters said:
A hint..

There appears to be a wire (grey) connected from one end of R3 to the other end. What does that mean for the voltage across R3 or R3 in general?
No clue. It's the same as the source's voltage?

Also, did you manage to get Req?

The grey wire has a very low resistance, let's assume it's zero Ohms. You therefore have R3 in parallel with a zero Ohm resistor..

For that bit of the circuit..

I/R = 1/R3 + 1/zero

but 1/zero = ∞

so R3 in parallel with zero Ohms = zero Ohms.

The circuit reduces to..

Attachments

• Tk9OP.png
    Tk9OP.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 479
I'll let you have another go at calculating Req.

CWatters said:
The grey wire has a very low resistance, let's assume it's zero Ohms. You therefore have R3 in parallel with a zero Ohm resistor..

For that bit of the circuit..

I/R = 1/R3 + 1/zero

but 1/zero = ∞

so R3 in parallel with zero Ohms = zero Ohms.

The circuit reduces to..
Smart, thanks.

1. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop or path, while in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches. This affects how current flows and how the voltage is distributed among the components.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series/parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, simply add up the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a series/parallel circuit?

A resistor is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. In a series circuit, it reduces the overall current, while in a parallel circuit, it allows for different components to have different levels of resistance to control the flow of current.

4. How does voltage affect the components in a series/parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all components, but the current may differ depending on the individual resistance.

5. Can I add more components to a series/parallel circuit?

Yes, you can add more components to both series and parallel circuits. However, in a series circuit, adding more components will increase the overall resistance and reduce the current. In a parallel circuit, adding more components will decrease the overall resistance and increase the current.