Requirements for making it to MIT

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary: It shows that you are capable of making a difference and have a bright future ahead of you.In summary, as a first year student looking to pursue a PhD in CSE from a top institution like MIT, it is important to have a high CPI and demonstrate passion and a unique quality that sets you apart from other applicants. Admissions officers at MIT are looking for students who are not only academically successful, but also have a strong drive and potential to make a difference in their field.
heman
well i am just first year student and i want to do Phd in cse from the very best inst. so i want to ask how much cpi does it is required to make it to colleges like Mit and i just want to get hint of sincerity one should have to reach there,,,thx

Physics news on Phys.org
heman said:
well i am just first year student and i want to do Phd in cse from the very best inst. so i want to ask how much cpi does it is required to make it to colleges like Mit and i just want to get hint of sincerity one should have to reach there,,,thx

CSE? CPI?

hehe, I love trying to figure out other countries systems.

I'll venture a guess and see if i win a prize:
- CSE - Chemical Structural Engineering?
- CPI - Cumulative Point Index?

Grandor said:

If that's the case, to get into MIT as an undergrad you're going to need a perfect high school (secondary school, not usre what it would be called where you are) record more or less.

Or maby CSE = Computer Science & Engineering?

Grandor said:

yeppy Cpi is right but CSE i meant to be Computer Science & Engineering...well any nice suggestions ...thx

Let me start by correcting the typo in my previous post: maby = maybe...

If you want to go to MIT, you've got to show them that you have passion. Sure, taking the toughest courseload your school offers and getting high grades are important, but the majority of MIT's applicants have all that. So you have to differentiate yourself from the rest and show the admission officers that you'll do well if you got in. The way to do this is to demonstrate to them that you're passionate about what you do. How? I'll leave that to you. :smile:

heman said:
yeppy Cpi is right but CSE i meant to be Computer Science & Engineering...well any nice suggestions ...thx

Darn CS&E.
Heh, thx.

Yeah I'd suppose that everyone trying for MIT would be v.smart and have top grades. You need to show these people something that sets you apart.

Grandor said:
Darn CS&E.
Heh, thx.

Yeah I'd suppose that everyone trying for MIT would be v.smart and have top grades. You need to show these people something that sets you apart.

sets apart...ahhh if a guy didn't do well in his acads. may be becoz of some reason...but he has got a passion for his studies..are they going to take him..

I'd recommend you apply anyway, you have nothing to lose. What they mean by setting yourself apart is doing something very noteworthy outside of school, like good research, starting a business, getting a patent, etc etc.

Related to Requirements for making it to MIT

1. What are the academic requirements for getting into MIT?

In order to be considered for admission to MIT, applicants must have a strong academic background, including a rigorous high school curriculum, top grades, and high scores on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT. MIT also values intellectual curiosity, creativity, and a passion for learning.

2. Are there specific courses or subjects that I need to have taken in high school to be considered for MIT?

While there are no specific course requirements for admission to MIT, the university looks for applicants who have taken challenging courses in math, science, English, and social studies. It is also recommended that students take advanced courses in areas of interest to them.

3. Do I need to have extracurricular activities or achievements to be considered for MIT?

MIT values well-rounded students who are actively involved in extracurricular activities, community service, and leadership roles. However, these activities are not the sole determining factor in the admissions process. It is important to focus on quality over quantity and pursue activities that genuinely interest you.

4. What is the average GPA and test scores of admitted students at MIT?

The average GPA of admitted students at MIT is around 4.13 (on a 4.0 scale), and the average SAT score is between 1510-1570 (out of 1600). However, these numbers are not the only criteria for admission and MIT considers a range of factors when reviewing applications.

5. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics that MIT looks for in applicants?

In addition to strong academic performance, MIT seeks students who are curious, passionate, and innovative. The university values diversity and looks for students who have a unique perspective and can contribute to the MIT community in meaningful ways. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and a desire to make a positive impact in the world.