SOP Writing Tips: Research & Experiences

• Thread starter JD88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the applicant should focus on their contributions and why they are interested in going to graduate school. They should demonstrate maturity by talking about their experience in an action-based manner.
JD88
Hi everyone,

I have a question about writing my statement of purpose for graduate school. I have done a couple of different research projects both at school and my internships. I was wondering in my statement of purpose how detailed should I be when discussing my past research. Should I get very technical of focus more on what I learned from the experience rather than what my project was?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, the SOP should be a concise statement on why you are interested in going to grad school and what you have done to prepare for it. I would not get technical about specific research projects (unless they have a direct bearing on your career goals).

From the point of view of the readers: Grad school has long hours, the pay is lousy, and future job success is not guarunteed. Why would you (the applicant) want to sign up for that?

As a former committee member, I preferred to see more of the technical side, even if I didn't completely understand it (say it was outside my research area.. like in astrophysics versus my field of condensed matter/ atomic and molecular). In particular, focus on your contributions, using action verbs if at all possible.

In my opinion, talking about your experience in this way shows that you've learned what you needed to from your experience... talking about it in vague terms about how it built character, inspired you, etc., sounds like BS. Demonstrate your maturity directly... they'll want that same competence in their graduate students.

physics girl phd said:
As a former committee member, I preferred to see more of the technical side, even if I didn't completely understand it (say it was outside my research area.. like in astrophysics versus my field of condensed matter/ atomic and molecular). In particular, focus on your contributions, using action verbs if at all possible.

In my opinion, talking about your experience in this way shows that you've learned what you needed to from your experience... talking about it in vague terms about how it built character, inspired you, etc., sounds like BS. Demonstrate your maturity directly... they'll want that same competence in their graduate students.

I agree with this reasoning and followed this advice in my own SOP last year and it worked out pretty well for me. I think it reflects much better on the applicant if they can show the committee that they actually understood enough to be able to describe what you were doing and why they were doing it (succinctly and clearly) from the research experience, than merely mentioning that you worked in X lab for Y months doing Z experiment. At the same time, I would not go too deep into details, the reader will not care that the experiment was performed at “10^-9 torr” and that it took “5 mL of 2 M HCl” to neutralize your solution. Clearly convey the sense that you were actively involved in the experiment, understood what was going on, its motivation, and the skills you may have acquired in the process, and some degree of detail is useful in doing this.

Thanks everyone. That's some good advice.

What is the purpose of writing an SOP?

The purpose of writing a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is to provide a detailed, step-by-step guide for a specific process or task. It serves as a reference for employees and ensures consistency and efficiency in the organization's operations.

What should be included in an SOP?

An SOP should include a clear and concise title, objective or purpose statement, scope of the procedure, materials or equipment needed, step-by-step instructions, safety precautions, and any potential hazards or risks. It should also include a space for signatures from those involved in the process and a revision history.

How should an SOP be organized?

An SOP should be organized in a logical and sequential manner, with each step clearly labeled and easy to follow. It is recommended to use bullet points or numbered lists for clarity. Additionally, the SOP should include any necessary diagrams, flowcharts, or images to aid in understanding.

How often should an SOP be updated?

An SOP should be reviewed and updated regularly, especially if there are any changes in the process or equipment being used. It is recommended to review and revise SOPs annually or whenever there is a significant change in the procedure.

Why is it important to include personal experiences in an SOP?

Including personal experiences in an SOP can provide valuable insights and tips for employees who may be new to the process. It also adds a human element to the document and can help make the instructions more relatable and easier to understand.