Research in field other than graduate school specialization?

In summary, research done as an undergraduate can still be taken into account by graduate schools. However, it is important to focus more on the skills that you acquire while doing such research, rather than the specific topic.
crr14
I know that undergraduate research is extremely helpful for graduate school, but how about research that was done in a field not directly related to what you're hoping to go to graduate school for? I'm looking at applying to PhD programs in Material Science/Materials Engineering this fall and have had two research positions as an undergraduate (one of which resulted in a paper while the other has a submitted paper pending approval), but one of the research positions was computer science/computer engineering based and the other was economics/mathematics based. I realize that it obviously looks better if undergrads have done research in the area they want to study, but do schools still take into account evidence that you can perform some kind of independent academic research?

I'm working on a new research project this summer and into next fall while I finish up my last couple of classes. I was thinking of trying for an internship to save up some money prior to graduate school, but I should I be looking for MatSci research opportunities (which I'm not even sure you can get as a graduate)?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are all good! It shows that you have the ability to expand beyond your immediate horizon.

One should not worry too much on the applicability of the research done while an undergraduate. Don't pay too much attention on the subject matter. Rather pay attention to the skills that you acquire when doing such things. Such skills often transcends a particular subject area, or even your major.

Zz.

what about biology research for someone who wants to go into physics for grad school? I'm engineering right now

ZapperZ said:
They are all good! It shows that you have the ability to expand beyond your immediate horizon.

One should not worry too much on the applicability of the research done while an undergraduate. Don't pay too much attention on the subject matter. Rather pay attention to the skills that you acquire when doing such things. Such skills often transcends a particular subject area, or even your major.

Zz.

Phew! Good to hear that it won't make me look indecisive in my research interests.

I can say that having research experience in any field can be beneficial for graduate school applications. While it is certainly advantageous to have research experience in the specific field you plan to pursue in graduate school, it is also valuable to have a diverse range of research experiences. This shows that you have the ability to think critically and conduct research in various areas, which is a valuable skill for any graduate student.

Furthermore, research experience in fields outside of your graduate school specialization can bring a unique perspective and skill set to your studies. For example, your experience in computer science and economics/mathematics may provide you with a strong foundation in data analysis and programming, which are highly sought after skills in the field of material science and engineering.

In addition, schools will also take into account your ability to perform independent academic research, regardless of the field. This is a crucial skill for graduate students, and your previous research experiences can demonstrate your capability in this area.

As for your upcoming research project, it is always beneficial to gain more research experience, especially in your chosen field. However, if you are interested in pursuing an internship to save money, that can also be a valuable experience. You can always continue to seek out research opportunities in material science during your graduate studies.

In summary, having research experience in a field other than your graduate school specialization can still be valuable and can demonstrate your skills and abilities as a researcher. It is important to continue to seek out research opportunities and gain diverse experiences to strengthen your graduate school application and prepare you for your future career in science.

FAQ: Research in field other than graduate school specialization?

1. What is the purpose of conducting research in a field other than my graduate school specialization?

The purpose of conducting research in a field other than your graduate school specialization is to expand your knowledge and skills, explore new topics and ideas, and gain a broader understanding of your field of study. It can also help you develop interdisciplinary perspectives, which can be beneficial in your future career.

2. How can I find research opportunities in a field outside of my graduate school specialization?

One way to find research opportunities in a field outside of your graduate school specialization is to network with other researchers and professors in your university or attend conferences and workshops related to the field you are interested in. You can also reach out to organizations or institutions that conduct research in your desired field and inquire about potential opportunities.

3. Can I use my research in a different field for my graduate school thesis or dissertation?

It is possible to use your research in a different field for your graduate school thesis or dissertation, but it will depend on the guidelines and requirements set by your program. You may need to get approval from your advisor or committee and provide a strong justification for why your research in a different field is relevant to your graduate studies.

4. Will conducting research in a different field affect my chances of getting a job in my graduate school specialization?

Conducting research in a different field may not directly impact your chances of getting a job in your graduate school specialization. However, it can demonstrate your ability to think critically, adapt to new environments, and collaborate with others, which are essential skills in any field. Additionally, your research experience in a different field may set you apart from other candidates and make you a more well-rounded and versatile researcher.

5. How can I balance conducting research in a different field while still focusing on my graduate school specialization?

Balancing research in a different field while focusing on your graduate school specialization can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is essential to communicate with your advisor or committee and discuss your research priorities and time management strategies. Additionally, you can try to integrate your research in the different field with your graduate studies by finding connections and commonalities between the two areas, which can help save time and effort.