Research on Aerospace Engineering

In summary, Aerospace engineering is a very diverse field that can lead you into many different types of jobs in space. Some of these jobs include air traffic control officer, space vehicle engineer, and scientist.
Maroc
Gold Member
I did some research on Aerospace Engineering and would further like to ask do these type of jobs get you into NASA or is it mostly physicist. I saw some jobs relating to Aerospace and i saw stuff like air traffic control officer, nothing in the area of 'SPACE'.

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey guys I have completed my graduation in computer engineering.I have interest to build a career into Aerospace field.Is it possible for to pursue Masters in Aerospace?

Maroc said:
I did some research on Aerospace Engineering and would further like to ask do these type of jobs get you into NASA or is it mostly physicist. I saw some jobs relating to Aerospace and i saw stuff like air traffic control officer, nothing in the area of 'SPACE'.

Thank you for reading.

Aerospace engineers definitely get to work in the area of "space". I don't know where you were looking but aerospace engineering doesn't really have anything to do with air traffic control officer, and NASA is full of all types of engineers and scientists.

I am assuming from your post you are trying to figure out which major to do. If you want to be involved in space exploration at NASA there is a huge list of majors that could get you involved in this field. It just depends on what you are interested in electronics, optics, structures/materials, fluid mechanics, chemistry, biology, math, physics... From what I've seen space exploration is a very diverse field, so as I am sure most people would say pick your major based on what you are passionate about and try to get internships at NASA while at school. NASA has a lot of great internship programs.

JD88 said:
Aerospace engineers definitely get to work in the area of "space". I don't know where you were looking but aerospace engineering doesn't really have anything to do with air traffic control officer, and NASA is full of all types of engineers and scientists.

I am assuming from your post you are trying to figure out which major to do. If you want to be involved in space exploration at NASA there is a huge list of majors that could get you involved in this field. It just depends on what you are interested in electronics, optics, structures/materials, fluid mechanics, chemistry, biology, math, physics... From what I've seen space exploration is a very diverse field, so as I am sure most people would say pick your major based on what you are passionate about and try to get internships at NASA while at school. NASA has a lot of great internship programs.

Thanks for the reply JD88,

The place were i found the info was careercrusing.com. Also Nasa doesn't offer internships to Canadian students. I may be wrong.

Maroc said:
Of course, aerospace engineers would find a job related to space - e.g., space vehicles.

See here -
http://www.nasa.gov/about/career/index.html
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/postsecondary/career/index.html

One can also look at the sites/pages for NASA Centers - e.g. Marshall, Langley, JPL, Stennis, Glenn, . . . .

One can also look at opportunities with United Technologies (Pratt & Whitney), Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumann, . . . .

Also - I highly recommend perusing the pages of AIAA - www.aiaa.org - and becoming a member, student or professional, if one is serious about aerospace.

For example - http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=4

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Research on Aerospace Engineering

What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It also involves studying the aerodynamics, propulsion, and materials used in these vehicles.

What types of research are conducted in aerospace engineering?

Research in aerospace engineering can vary widely, but some common areas of focus include improving aircraft and spacecraft design, developing new materials and technologies, studying aerodynamics and propulsion systems, and exploring new methods for space travel.

What are the benefits of research in aerospace engineering?

Research in aerospace engineering can lead to advancements in technology and materials, making air travel safer and more efficient. It also allows for the development of new technologies and techniques for space exploration, potentially leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

What are some current challenges in aerospace engineering research?

Some current challenges in aerospace engineering research include developing sustainable and environmentally friendly aircraft, improving the efficiency of space travel, and finding ways to reduce the cost of space exploration. Additionally, there is ongoing research in areas such as supersonic and hypersonic flight, advanced propulsion systems, and spacecraft autonomy.

How does aerospace engineering research impact our daily lives?

Aerospace engineering research has a significant impact on our daily lives, even if we don't always realize it. Many of the safety features in modern commercial aircraft are a result of aerospace engineering research, making air travel safer for everyone. Additionally, advances in satellite technology have improved communication and navigation systems, and space exploration research has led to advancements in medicine, materials, and other fields.

Back