1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue of cot(z)

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So guys..the title says it! I need to find the residue of cot(z) at z=0.

2. Relevant equations
    For this situation, since the pole order is 1

[itex]Residue=\lim_{z \to z_{0}}(z-z_{0})f(z)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here's what Im doing in steps:

First, the singularity is at z=0. So [itex]z_{0}=0[/itex].

Then I multiply both sides by [itex](z-z_{0})=z[/itex]...to get [itex](z-z_{0})f(z)=zcot(z)[/itex]

Now taking the limit of this is as z = 0 is [itex]0 \times \frac{cos(0)}{sin(0)}=0[/itex]...but this is wrong, the residue is 1...

I know its something stupid that im doing but what is it? even if i expand sin and cos I still end up with 0...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2
    Study this arguement carefully and see if that doesn't remind you of some elementary calculus:

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    Yea I guess you're supposed to use L'Hopital's rule to find the behaviour of the function towards a limit....textbook didnt really say that

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4
    For most problems you encounter, there won't be a textbook to tell you anything at all. Take a minute to understand the trick.

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5
    thanks for the hint tho bro!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted