Converting cm to cm-1: How to Calculate 1/37

• Thread starter agentas
  • Start date
In summary, to convert an interval of 37 cm to cm-1, you must divide 1 by 37, resulting in a value of 0,027cm-1. However, if you want to convert 0.162A to cm-1, you will need to determine what quantity is given in A and what quantity you want to calculate, such as inverse wavelength or the magnitude of the wave vector. The values given do not match up, so further clarification is needed.
agentas
If i got my interval is 37 cm .And if i want to get in cm-1 I have to do this 1/37=0,027cm-1 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's fine.

agentas said:
If i got my interval is 37 cm .And if i want to get in cm-1 I have to do this 1/37=0,027cm-1 right?

You want to get WHAT in cm-1? Not the same interval, I hope.

from some Lithium atomic spectrum which is equal 0.162A.This corresponds to 0.36cm-1
I still struggling to get this answer ,because if i take reciprocal of of it i can not get 0,36cm-1

0.162A is not even close to 1/3rd of cm. You are off by many orders of magnitude.

It would be a good start to figure out what are the quantities you are dealing with.
What quantity is given in A? Is it a wavelength?
And then what quantity do you want to calculate? Is it inverse wavelength or maybe the magnitude of the wave vector?

FAQ: Converting cm to cm-1: How to Calculate 1/37

1. What does it mean to convert cm to cm-1?

Converting cm to cm-1 is a conversion used in scientific fields, particularly in spectroscopy, to convert wavelength units from centimeters (cm) to wavenumber units of reciprocal centimeters (cm-1). It is a way to express the energy of light in terms of its wavelength.

2. Why do we need to convert cm to cm-1?

In spectroscopy, it is often more convenient to measure the energy of light in terms of its wavenumber rather than its wavelength. This is because the wavenumber is directly proportional to the energy of the light, making it easier to compare and analyze different energy levels.

3. How do you calculate 1/37 in terms of cm-1?

To calculate 1/37 in terms of cm-1, you can use the following formula: 1/37 * (1 cm / 1 cm-1) = 0.027 cm-1. This means that 1/37 is equal to 0.027 cm-1.

4. Can you provide an example of converting cm to cm-1?

Sure, let's say we have a light with a wavelength of 500 nm. To convert this to cm-1, we first need to convert the wavelength from nanometers (nm) to centimeters (cm). This can be done by dividing the wavelength by 10^7 (since there are 10^7 nm in 1 cm). So, 500 nm / 10^7 = 5 * 10^-5 cm. Then, we can use the formula 1/lambda * (1 cm / 1 cm-1) = wavenumber in cm-1. Plugging in our value for wavelength, we get 1/(5 * 10^-5 cm) * (1 cm / 1 cm-1) = 2 * 10^4 cm-1. Therefore, the light with a wavelength of 500 nm has a wavenumber of 2 * 10^4 cm-1.

5. Is there an easier way to convert cm to cm-1?

Yes, there are online calculators and conversion tools that can easily convert cm to cm-1 for you. All you need to do is input the value in cm and the tool will automatically provide the equivalent value in cm-1.