Resistance of a wire with varying cross-section

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
requied
Messages
98
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
I know the formulas about resistance of a cylindrical shape copper wire, and applied those on the question but I don't know that whether I am on the right track.
Relevant Equations
R = ρ.L/A
I explained what I want to tell you in the picture I add. Thanks in advance.
 
Attachments
  • ödev2222.png
    ödev2222.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is a little off, it should be ##R = \frac{\rho L}{A}##.

Is your question how to calculate the length of the semicircle?
 
etotheipi said:
Your formula is a little off, it should be ##R = \frac{\rho L}{A}##.

Is your question how to calculate the length of the semicircle?
Thank you for correcting I will edit this, I want to write this actually. So, I don't know the second one is a semicircle or not. If that is I did correct. I don't have a question actually, mine is a confirmation.
 
requied said:
I don't know the second one is a semicircle or not.
It's not drawn very well, but if they don't say otherwise, it looks close enough to a semicircle to consider it one, IMO.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: requied
berkeman said:
It's not drawn very well, but if they don't say otherwise, it looks close enough to a semicircle to consider it one, IMO.
thank you I had also thought so
 
It's not drawn well at all. A radius of 25 mm is mentioned in the text but a radius of 4500 mm is shown for the supposed cylindrical piece. This figure looks like one that might ask for the magnetic field at the center of the semicircle.
 
kuruman said:
It's not drawn well at all. A radius of 25 mm is mentioned in the text but a radius of 4500 mm is shown for the supposed cylindrical piece.
I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kuruman
berkeman said:
I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.
Ah, yes!
 
berkeman said:
I think the "25mm" is the radius of the wire itself, not the radius of the semicircle portion of the wire form. Yeah, that confused me pretty well also.
My native language is not English. See it from my angle 😅