Deriving Kinetic Energy in a U-Tube with Varying Cross-Sectional Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the kinetic energy of a small slice of liquid in a U-tube with varying radii and a set amount of liquid. The equation for the kinetic energy is derived and proven through integration. The conversation also mentions the relationship between velocity and cross-sectional area in a fluid.
RockenNS42
1. Homework Statement
A U-tube has vertical arms of radii 'r' and '2r', connected by a horizontal tube of length 'l' whose radius increases linearly from r to 2r. The U-tube contains liquid up to a height 'h' in each arm. The liquid is set oscillating, and at a given instant the liquid in the narrower arm is a distance 'y' above the equilibrium level.

Show that the kinetic energy of a small slice of liquide in the horzional arm is given by

dk= (1/2)ρv2 * (∏r2)dx/ (1+x/l)2 (1)

where v is the velocity
ρ is denisty
l is the lengh from the centre of one arm to the centre of the other
x is the distance the slice is from the middle if the smaller arm

2. Homework Equations

k = 1/2mv2=1/2ρAlv2 (2)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I seen the dK and dx and thought to intergrate, but I got a really messy problem so I figured that was it. SO i thought Id prove it bit by bit
i got that the l in (2) is the 1/(1+x/l)2 from (1) but I am not sure how to go about proving this is the case...

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy of the small slice is mv^2/2 where m = ρdV

dV = ∏R^2dx

And R = R(x)

Your expression,

dk= (1/2)ρv^2 * (∏r^2)dx/ (1+x/l)^2

Should read,

dk= (1/2)ρv^2 * (∏r^2)dx (1+x/l)^2

With no division symbol?

it the text it has one

heres a pic of the page

Attachments

• Photo_00001.jpg
    Photo_00001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 544
Got it now I think. The velocity v is the velocity in the smaller vertical tube. You know that the product of the velocity of the fluid and the cross-sectional area at a point is constant?

Got to go to work, can help afterwards, hopefully someone else can fill in before then.

Spinnor said:
Got it now I think. The velocity v is the velocity in the smaller vertical tube. You know that the product of the velocity of the fluid and the cross-sectional area at a point is constant?

Got to go to work, can help afterwards, hopefully
someone else can fill in before then.

That. Little was enough! I got it thanks :)

Related to Deriving Kinetic Energy in a U-Tube with Varying Cross-Sectional Area

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What is a u-tube?

A u-tube is a laboratory device used to measure pressure or to demonstrate properties of fluids.

How is kinetic energy measured in a u-tube?

Kinetic energy can be measured in a u-tube by using a manometer, which is a device that measures the pressure difference between two points in a fluid. The pressure difference is then used to calculate the kinetic energy of the fluid.

What factors affect the kinetic energy in a u-tube?

The kinetic energy in a u-tube is affected by the speed and mass of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the u-tube itself.

What are some real-life applications of kinetic energy in a u-tube?

Kinetic energy in a u-tube can be used to measure the velocity of fluids, such as air or water, which is important in applications such as aerodynamics and hydraulics. It can also be used to study the properties of gases and to demonstrate concepts like Bernoulli's principle.