Resonace frecuency and peak current

In summary, resonance frequency refers to an object's natural frequency of vibration, determined by its physical properties. It is directly related to peak current, with higher peak current occurring at resonance frequency due to more efficient energy absorption. The physical properties of the object, driving force, and damping all affect resonance frequency and peak current. Resonance frequency has important applications in science and engineering, including designing musical instruments and electronic systems and studying natural phenomena. It can be calculated using a formula or measured experimentally by varying the driving force frequency.
Xaspire88
For the circuit shown
a. What is the resonance frequency?
b. At resonance, what is the peak current through the circuit?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2971/p56dr3.png

I solved for resonance frequency knowing that when Xc=XL you get a resonance frequency.
my set up was

2pifL=1/(2pifC)

and then i solved for f... but the number i got was 5032.92 and this seems way too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me out. Thank you.:cry:

I think your calculation of the frequency is correct.

1. What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency refers to the natural frequency at which an object vibrates or oscillates with the greatest amplitude when it is subjected to a periodic force. It is determined by the physical properties of the object such as its mass, elasticity, and shape.

2. How is resonance frequency related to peak current?

Resonance frequency and peak current are directly related. When an object is at its resonance frequency, it absorbs energy more efficiently, resulting in a higher peak current. This is because the object is vibrating at its natural frequency, making it easier for the driving force to cause it to oscillate.

3. What factors affect resonance frequency and peak current?

The physical properties of the object such as mass, elasticity, and shape affect resonance frequency and peak current. Additionally, the driving force and any damping or resistance present also play a role in determining these values.

4. Why is resonance frequency important in science and engineering?

Resonance frequency has many important applications in science and engineering. It is used in designing and tuning musical instruments, as well as in the development of electronic circuits and systems. Understanding resonance frequency also helps in the study of natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and ocean waves.

5. How can resonance frequency be calculated or measured?

Resonance frequency can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1/2π√(k/m), where f0 is the resonance frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object. It can also be measured experimentally by varying the frequency of the driving force and observing the amplitude of the object's oscillations.