1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance in a damped triangular potential well

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    I have a potential well which is an infinite wall for x<0 and a linear slope for x>0. There is damping proportional to velocity. Basically, it's a ball bouncing elastically off the ground and with air friction included. I wonder if there is some periodic driving force which will cause one particular mass to bounce with a high amplitude and only slightly perturbe all the other masses (kind of a pseudo-resonance?).
    My first attempt was to try a sawtooth profile force. The equation of motion is thus
    [tex]
    m\ddot{x} = -k(u+\dot{x}) + f(T/2-t)
    [/tex]
    where k and u are constants, T is the period of the driving force and fT/2 is the maximum force. The solution is parabolic in time. I figured that the driving force will sync up with bouncing events iff
    [tex]
    f = \frac{uk^2}{m}
    [/tex]
    and so, if I could produce a force with such a slope, only a very particular mass m will oscillate with a high amplitude (which itself depends on the period
    [tex]
    x_0 = \frac{kuT^2}{8m}
    [/tex]
    ).
    To sum up, my line of thought is this: I fix the slope f according to the parameters of my system. The period and driving force amplitude are then determined by my choice of oscillation amplitude x_0.
    Could you verify these calculations? Also, would the particle readily sync up with the driving force? Would this sytem be robust enough to work in a realistic experiment with various perturbations etc.? What would be the equivalent of the quality factor?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2
    I don't understand your equation. The periodicity you're searching for arises from the regular impulse the ball receives during its elastic collision with the ground, but I can't find a corresponding term in your equation of motion. I also don't believe the solution to an equation modelling a particle moving due to its own weight and air resistance is parabolic.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    The equation is valid only for x>0. I don't include the delta-like force of the surface reaction, i just assume that whenever the particle arrives at x=0, its speed flips sign. My equation of motion is
    [tex]
    x(t) = At^2 + Bt
    [/tex]
    so the particle starts out at x=0 with speed B, moves up, comes down to x=0 at time T=-B/A with speed -B, and then flips back to the initial condition

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook