Resonant frequency calculation for lengths of thick wall steel pipe

In summary: Suffice to say that the thesis presents exact solutions for vibration of closed and open cylindrical shells, including those with arbitrary cross-sections. This should be useful for understanding vibration of pipes, motor mounts, and so on. resonant frequencies of thick-walled steel pipeIn summary, the pipe's resonant frequencies depend on its length, diameter, and thickness, and there are many different modes of vibration.
john.riley2

Homework Statement

resonant freq. in air for arbitrary length steel pipe with radius in the 3-8 cm range and wall thickness in the o.5 to 1 cm range

Homework Equations

unable to find a relevant equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to find a single relevant equation, for two reasons:

1 The frequencies depend on how the pipe is restrained. That is the probably single most important thing which determines the frequences.

2 There are many different modes of vibration of the pipe, each with its own (infinite) set of vibration frequencies and each governed by different equations. For example if the pipe was not restrained at all, it could vibrate by bending (like a beam), axially (changing length), torsionally, and radially (not just panting in and out, but also the cross section changing from a circle to an ellipse, or a "wavy" shape with any number of waves round the pipe).

resonant frequencies of thick-walled steel pipe

I should further qualify this. Pipe would be unrestrained, and length would hopefully be large compared to diameter and wall thickness. I would be primarily interested in the longitudinal pressure wave resonance, but it would be nice to calculate the predominant radial frequencies for the two strongest modes. Thanks
John

Ah... I thought you were talking about resonances of the pipe, not the air inside it.

If you assume the air and pipe resonances are not coupled (that's a very reasonable assumption for a "stiff" thick walled pipe) the longtitudinal resonances are just the standard "open and closed organ pipe" formulas, and are independent of the diameter of the pipe.

Re the radial frequencies, the solutions to the wave equation are Bessel functions. If the wavenumber k = omega/c and the radius is r, the lowest frequencies are when kr = 3.832, 7.015, 10.174, ... See http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/cylcoord.htm

Sorry...I'm finding that I am ot communicating clearly at all. I am interested in the resonance of the pipe itself, and possibly an algorithm by which I could arrange the radial frequencies to be an harmonic of the longitudinal reaonance so that the tone would not be unpleasant. Think of giant wind chimes! many thanks!
John

OK, now I understand the question.

Finding any formulas for thick shells will be hard. This might give you some leads for thin shells (usually defined as radius/thickness > 10, so your largest radius and smallest thickness are in that range).

"... this thesis presents exact solutions for vibration of closed and open cylindrical shells..." http://library.uws.edu.au/adt-NUWS/public/adt-NUWS20061016.103821/index.html

I haven't read all of it (!) - and apologies if it tells you a lot more about the subject than you really want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is resonant frequency and why is it important in thick wall steel pipes?

Resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates when it is disturbed. In the case of thick wall steel pipes, it is important to calculate the resonant frequency in order to avoid vibrations that can lead to failure or damage of the pipe.

2. How is resonant frequency calculated for lengths of thick wall steel pipes?

The resonant frequency for a length of thick wall steel pipe can be calculated using the formula: f = (n/2L) x √(E/ρ), where f is the resonant frequency, n is the number of nodes or antinodes, L is the length of the pipe, E is the Young's modulus of the steel, and ρ is the density of the steel.

3. What factors can affect the resonant frequency of a thick wall steel pipe?

The resonant frequency of a thick wall steel pipe can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the steel, the thickness and length of the pipe, the surrounding environment, and any external forces acting on the pipe.

4. Can resonant frequency calculation be used to prevent failure of thick wall steel pipes?

Yes, calculating the resonant frequency of thick wall steel pipes can help prevent failure by identifying potential problem areas and allowing for adjustments to be made to the pipe design or operating conditions to avoid resonance.

5. Are there any safety guidelines to follow when using resonant frequency calculation for thick wall steel pipes?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when using resonant frequency calculations for thick wall steel pipes. This includes ensuring that the calculations are accurate, using appropriate materials and thicknesses for the pipes, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the pipes to prevent any potential failures.