1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonate Frequency of Bandpass Filter

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached.

Can somebody explain how the resonant frequency w0=1/RC. I worked it out by setting imaginary Z(s)=0. The answer I get is j√2 which is obviously wrong. Is it wrong to calculate the resonant frequency in this manner in this case?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

See Attached
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

For a bandpass function, as with any filter, we are interested in Vout/Vin. So they derived this transfer function as H(s) near the bottom of the solution. Are you able to examine that denominator and by relating it to the general second order system describe Ѡn and Q here? (Or the damping ratio, ζ zeta)?

As for your approach, I'm cautious about endorsing shortcuts. But I think it might be valid, thereby allowing you to determine Ѡn at least. But you haven't indicated how you changed Z(s) to something with imaginary terms, so that needs to be checked.

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Are you able to examine that denominator and by relating it to the general second order system describe Ѡn and Q here? (Or the damping ratio, ζ zeta)?

No. Are you aware of a good internet resource which explains it?
    Thanks for your help

5. May 2, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Towards the end of this article: http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/echeeve1/Ref/FilterBkgrnd/Filters.html

they state that the second-order filter denominator takes the form:

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif [Broken] s² + (Ѡn/Q)s + Ѡ²n

where (Ѡn/Q) is the bandwidth, with Q being the "Q-factor" of the system.

It's well worth memorizing this expression, and what the co-efficients mean.

If you prefer the corresponding one from control theory, it's: s² + 2ζѠns + Ѡ²n
    where zeta is the co-efficient of damping and you can see ζ=1/(2Q)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 3, 2012 #5
    Thanks for that. Makes things somewhat easier than how I was doing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook