Resonate Frequency of Bandpass Filter

In summary, the resonant frequency is determined by the equation H(s) near the bottom of the solution. However, you cannot determine Ѡn without knowing how you changed Z(s) to something with imaginary terms.
p75213

Homework Statement

See attached.

Can somebody explain how the resonant frequency w0=1/RC. I worked it out by setting imaginary Z(s)=0. The answer I get is j√2 which is obviously wrong. Is it wrong to calculate the resonant frequency in this manner in this case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See Attached

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 May. 02 13.35.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 May. 02 13.35.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 589
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
For a bandpass function, as with any filter, we are interested in Vout/Vin. So they derived this transfer function as H(s) near the bottom of the solution. Are you able to examine that denominator and by relating it to the general second order system describe Ѡn and Q here? (Or the damping ratio, ζ zeta)?

As for your approach, I'm cautious about endorsing shortcuts. But I think it might be valid, thereby allowing you to determine Ѡn at least. But you haven't indicated how you changed Z(s) to something with imaginary terms, so that needs to be checked.

NascentOxygen said:
For a bandpass function, as with any filter, we are interested in Vout/Vin. So they derived this transfer function as H(s) near the bottom of the solution. Are you able to examine that denominator and by relating it to the general second order system describe Ѡn and Q here? (Or the damping ratio, ζ zeta)?

As for your approach, I'm cautious about endorsing shortcuts. But I think it might be valid, thereby allowing you to determine Ѡn at least. But you haven't indicated how you changed Z(s) to something with imaginary terms, so that needs to be checked.

Are you able to examine that denominator and by relating it to the general second order system describe Ѡn and Q here? (Or the damping ratio, ζ zeta)?

No. Are you aware of a good internet resource which explains it?
Thanks for your help

Towards the end of this article: http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/echeeve1/Ref/FilterBkgrnd/Filters.html

they state that the second-order filter denominator takes the form:

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif s² + (Ѡn/Q)s + Ѡ²n

where (Ѡn/Q) is the bandwidth, with Q being the "Q-factor" of the system.

It's well worth memorizing this expression, and what the co-efficients mean.

If you prefer the corresponding one from control theory, it's: s² + 2ζѠns + Ѡ²n
where zeta is the co-efficient of damping and you can see ζ=1/(2Q)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. Makes things somewhat easier than how I was doing it.

1. What is the resonant frequency of a bandpass filter?

The resonant frequency of a bandpass filter is the frequency at which the filter has the highest gain or amplitude. It is the frequency that the filter is designed to pass through with minimal attenuation.

2. How is the resonant frequency of a bandpass filter calculated?

The resonant frequency of a bandpass filter can be calculated using the center frequency and bandwidth of the filter. The center frequency is the average of the lower and upper cutoff frequencies, and the bandwidth is the difference between the two.

3. What factors affect the resonant frequency of a bandpass filter?

The resonant frequency of a bandpass filter is affected by the values of the inductor and capacitor used in the filter circuit. The type of inductor and capacitor, as well as their placement in the circuit, can also impact the resonant frequency.

4. What is the purpose of the resonant frequency in a bandpass filter?

The resonant frequency is the frequency that a bandpass filter is designed to pass through with minimal attenuation. It is important because it allows the filter to selectively pass a specific range of frequencies, while blocking out all others.

5. How can the resonant frequency of a bandpass filter be adjusted?

The resonant frequency of a bandpass filter can be adjusted by changing the values of the inductor and capacitor in the filter circuit. By increasing or decreasing these values, the resonant frequency can be shifted to a desired frequency range.