Design of High-pass Passive Filter

I must have been distracted at the moment I was writing, because 16000uF is a really big capacitor. I apologize for the error.
LickMyEyeball

Homework Statement

Design a filter that will pass frequencies greater than 20 Hz and set the -3dB point at 10 Hz. Assume zero source impedance and 10k load impedance.

Homework Equations

##f=\frac{1}{2\pi RC}## which is the equation used to determine the 3 dB frequency of an RC filter.

The Attempt at a Solution

Select a high-pass RC filter. Active filters have no been presented yet in the text, so I am using passive components.
As the input impedence of the load is assumed to be 10k, then I would like the output impedence of my filter to be about 1k: a tenth of the load.
Deriving the output impedence of the high-pass filter:
[itex]
Z_{input}=\frac{Z_{C} R}{R+Z_{C}}=\frac{\frac{R}{j\omega C}}{R+\frac{1}{j\omega C}}=\frac{R}{j\omega R C +1}
[/itex]
The next step is where my thinking is unclear. While I know that I want this output impedence to be about 1k, what kind of value should I select R to be and why? Does the 3 dB frequency I am designing for affect this in any way or is it independent?
Arbitrarily assuming an R value of 1k to match the impedence I want yields the following:
## \frac{1}{C}=2\pi fR## so ##C=\frac{1}{20\pi R}=16 pF##

The design is complete.

The information I am looking for is how to select an R value and why.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
LickMyEyeball said:

Homework Statement

Design a filter that will pass frequencies greater than 20 Hz and set the -3dB point at 10 Hz. Assume zero source impedance and 10k load impedance.

Homework Equations

##f=\frac{1}{2\pi RC}## which is the equation used to determine the 3 dB frequency of an RC filter.

The Attempt at a Solution

Select a high-pass RC filter. Active filters have no been presented yet in the text, so I am using passive components.
As the input impedence of the load is assumed to be 10k, then I would like the output impedence of my filter to be about 1k: a tenth of the load.
Deriving the output impedence of the high-pass filter:
[itex]
Z_{input}=\frac{Z_{C} R}{R+Z_{C}}=\frac{\frac{R}{j\omega C}}{R+\frac{1}{j\omega C}}=\frac{R}{j\omega R C +1}
[/itex]
The next step is where my thinking is unclear. While I know that I want this output impedence to be about 1k, what kind of value should I select R to be and why? Does the 3 dB frequency I am designing for affect this in any way or is it independent?
Arbitrarily assuming an R value of 1k to match the impedence I want yields the following:
## \frac{1}{C}=2\pi fR## so ##C=\frac{1}{20\pi R}=16 pF##

The design is complete.

The information I am looking for is how to select an R value and why.

Thank you in advance.

For a single pole HPF, you have an input capacitor and an output resistor in series. Just put that 10k load resistor in parallel with your output resistor and use the parallel combination value for your R of the filter.

And 16pF is *way* too small to be used at this low frequency. You pick your combination of R & C to be some practical values. The biggest non-polar capacitor that is not too physically big and expensive is around 1uF. Start with that value to see what value of R you need to get that -3dB point, and go from there... :smile:

Likes LickMyEyeball
berkeman said:
And 16pF is *way* too small to be used at this low frequency. You pick your combination of R & C to be some practical values. The biggest non-polar capacitor that is not too physically big and expensive is around 1uF. Start with that value to see what value of R you need to get that -3dB point, and go from there.

Thank you very much for your reply. I assume that the problem with having selected a 16pF capacitor is that they do not come in a non-polar variety and a signal may require going into negative voltages?

berkeman said:
For a single pole HPF, you have an input capacitor and an output resistor in series. Just put that 10k load resistor in parallel with your output resistor and use the parallel combination value for your R of the filter.

Starting with a 1uF capacitor and a 10Hz point for the 3dB frequency yields an equivalent resistance of 16kΩ. Due to the load resistance being 10kΩ and the network being a parallel configuration, the 16kΩ value is impossible to attain without changing the network topology.

If I cannot go larger than 1.0uF, then this is more complicated than I was thinking. Knowing that the load resistance is 10kΩ, I can neglect the extra resistor entirely. Using a capacitance of 1.5uF would yield a 3dB frequency of 10.6 Hz, which may be close enough?

LickMyEyeball said:
I assume that the problem with having selected a 16pF capacitor is that they do not come in a non-polar variety
No, 16pF is a very small capacitance, and only comes in non-polar versions. It's just that using 16pF at 10Hz would require a huge resistance value (impractical).

LickMyEyeball said:
Knowing that the load resistance is 10kΩ, I can neglect the extra resistor entirely. Using a capacitance of 1.5uF would yield a 3dB frequency of 10.6 Hz, which may be close enough?
That works. Also, you can make a non-polar capacitor of a larger value by putting two polar caps back-to-back. This is done commonly in audio power circuits. For example, you can place two electrolytic 22uF caps back-to-back to make an 11uF non-polar capacitor. :smile:

Likes LickMyEyeball
berkeman said:
you can place two electrolytic 22uF caps back-to-back to make an 11uF non-polar capacitor. :smile:

This is really awesome to know! It makes sense, but I'd never be sure enough of how the caps work to actually try it. Thanks!

Just for info...

In your first post you made an error in the calculation.

1/(20*π*1,000) = 16uF not 16pF

Likes LickMyEyeball and berkeman
CWatters said:
Just for info...

In your first post you made an error in the calculation.

1/(20*π*1,000) = 16uF not 16pF
Very right, thank you!

1. What is a high-pass passive filter?

A high-pass passive filter is a type of electronic circuit that allows high-frequency signals to pass through while blocking low-frequency signals. It is made up of passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. How does a high-pass passive filter work?

A high-pass passive filter works by attenuating or reducing the amplitude of low-frequency signals while allowing high-frequency signals to pass through. This is achieved by the use of passive components that create a voltage divider network, which affects the amplitude of the input signal at different frequencies.

3. What are the advantages of using a high-pass passive filter?

One advantage of using a high-pass passive filter is that it is relatively simple and inexpensive to construct compared to other types of filters. It also does not require a power source, making it suitable for use in low-power applications. Additionally, it can be used to reduce noise and interference in electronic circuits.

4. What are the limitations of high-pass passive filters?

One limitation of high-pass passive filters is that they have a limited frequency range in which they are effective. They also have a tendency to cause phase shifts in the output signal, which can affect the accuracy of the filtered signal. Additionally, they can only attenuate signals, not amplify them.

5. How do I choose the right components for a high-pass passive filter?

The choice of components for a high-pass passive filter depends on the desired cut-off frequency and the type of filter design being used. Generally, the values of the components should be selected to create the desired frequency response and to ensure that the filter can handle the power and current levels of the input signal.