Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Respecting Time Symmetry when programming

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    Where can I learn to break the habit of using time steps and instead use mathematical frameworks to preserve time symmetry when programming simulations?
    I recently visited a site ( bugman123.com ). He's got a lot of STEM experience. He's written simulations and programs for a lot of things. What immediately sticks out to me is how smooth his simulations look. In particular, his physics simulation of a particle smashing into a wall of particles and how all the light refracts properly. http://bugman123.com/Physics/index.html
    Where can I learn to program like that?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for the link to those programs and animations. They were very interesting!

Can I ask what preserving time symmetry means here?

4. May 12, 2017 #3
    Noether's Theorem and the Motion of Creation

Symmetry and conservation laws: Noether's contribution to physics - Uhlenbeck

These videos will be the best at explaining. But it's basically math that preserves the conservation of energy.
    The conservation of energy isn't just a property of the universe. We can also simulate it.

So I think it's possible to do these things in a computer program with actual objects. I've got a "chaos theory". I just don't know if the math works and would respect time symmetry.

I need worm holes too. I'm not sure if they're possible mathematically.

5. May 12, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Do you have any programming experience?

6. May 12, 2017 #5
    Yes, I do. 8 years.
    I just don't know the concepts of math well enough. Damn shame, I know.
    Frustrates the hell out of me because teachers didn't really get behind my unique projects.
    I am sure there are a lot of people here with a burning resentment like that. Soul crushing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
  7. May 12, 2017 #6

Drakkith

Have you looked at some of the code snippets listed on the site?

8. May 12, 2017 #7
    The systems with code snippets have no contrast between two different energies or particles. They're all just 1 definition for 1 particle or field or material. I'm also not good at math, and that's a language on top of programming. Calculus does a lot of tricks I just wont understand unless they are commented out.
    'the one with balls uses a time step

9. May 13, 2017 #8

Mark44

Without knowing what your unique projects were, it's hard to sympathize.
    No. Conservation of energy is an attribute we observe. Mathematics has nothing to do with energy being conserved.

The phrase "time symmetry" is usually referred to as "cyclical" or "periodic." I don't know what you mean by "would respect time symmetry."

You're putting much more faith in the "abilities" of mathematics than are warranted.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. May 13, 2017 #9

Drakkith

I see. Well, I don't think I can help you. I'd be interested in learning more myself though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted