1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ressistance when current-density is not constant

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    I am trying to figure out how it would effect the ressistance R of a wire with length L and variyng cross-sectional area A(x) if the current density was a fuction of the radius of the wire. That is J = J(r).

I'm having trouble with this when it seems like ressistance is the result of a derivation of ohm's law assuming constant E-field such that [tex]E = \frac{J}{\sigma} = \frac{V}{l}[/tex], but if E is not constant how can one then relate the ressitance to the current-density J?

A qualitative answer is good enough.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    Resistance is by definition ΔV/i(and this is not Ohm's Law).Even though the electric field is not constant it is a law accurate for differential elements. So if you calculate E(x) function and integrate for the corresponding potential drop you can calculate resistance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook