1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant Couple and direction angle

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, I have 3 couples applied to a bent bar. The axis is with the z going up, y left and right, and the x basically out of the page(or kinda to the left a bit).

The pipe goes 28in to the right(on y axis), where the pic show a 100lb force pointing down from the +z direction, and a 125lb force keeps going along the y axis. The pipe then bends and runs parallel with the +x axis, and goes for 16in. A 150lb force from the +x direction points back into the pipe, and a 125lb force points at the pipe from the +y direction. This is also where point A is. The pipe then bends downward(-z) for 9in. At the end of the pipe, a 100lb force is applied towards the +z. A 150lb force is also applied at the end, in the +x direction.

Determine, the magnitude of the resultant couple C and the direction angles associated with the resultant couple vector. Then also determine the scalar component of the resultant couple C about line O(orgin)A.

I think I drew this out right.....you just have to draw as you read. Should go towards +y, then towards +x, then -z.

2. Relevant equations

I think I add the x,y,z components of the couple(C). Then I think I square each of them, add them together, all under a square root.

For the angles, I think I just take the cos-1 of each component/mag of C.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to find the components. I think I understand how to break them down(simple), but I don't really get how to relate the distance in there. If someone could do one that would be helpful(or explain it). I'm not sure where to take the total distance from I guess either.

Thank,
    Brad

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2
    Is this problem understandable?? Or do I need to draw a pic? I didn't draw one on paint, because usually they are too small/blury to see.

4. Feb 2, 2007 #3
    can anyone help....this is due today. I think I can get it, if I can get some help on how to find the individual components....I'm not sure how to relate the forces, and the distances.

5. Feb 2, 2007 #4
    Figured it out......thanks for all, that attempted to solve it(I know, it was complicated to read). I even had 2 hrs to go.....haha...Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?