Returning to Physics: Tips for Getting Back Into Your Studies

• Thread starter RelativeQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to get back into physics after being away from it for two years. They have been studying on their own and have noticed that they have forgotten some concepts and spend a lot of time re-deriving information. They are looking for suggestions on how to refresh their memory and prepare for graduate school.
RelativeQuanta
Hi,

I could use some advice on how to get back into physics. I earned my BS in phyiscs in 2004 and I have been away from it for over 2 years now. I have always had the goal of attending graduate school for physics but I realize I have forgotten a lot in the last two years. I have been studying a bit on my own. I spent some time looking at the PhysicsGRE website and I bought the Purple book (which drove me a bit crazy with the number and frequency of errors in its "solutions"). I still remember how to use many concepts but it's as if I don't have anything memorized anymore. When working problems, I find myself spending lots of time re-deriving stuff that I should have memorized. What's some good things for me to do?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had thought ahead, you would have kept your lecture notes, try skimming through them, and hopefully if you were paying attention, a lot of it will come back to you.

Or, alternatively, check out

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "returning to physics"?

"Returning to physics" refers to the process of resuming or restarting one's studies or career in the field of physics after a period of absence.

Why would someone want to return to physics?

There are various reasons why someone may want to return to physics. Some may have taken a break from their studies or career for personal reasons and now wish to continue their education or work in the field. Others may have pursued a different career path but have always had a passion for physics and want to explore it further. Some may also see the growing demand for professionals in the field of physics and want to take advantage of new opportunities.

What can I do to prepare for returning to physics?

If you have been away from physics for a while, it is important to refresh your knowledge and skills. You can do this by reviewing your old notes, textbooks, and online resources. It may also be helpful to reach out to current students or professionals in the field to get advice on how to best prepare for returning to physics.

Is it difficult to return to physics after a break?

The difficulty of returning to physics may vary depending on the length of your break and your level of preparation. However, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to successfully resume your studies or career in physics. It may also be helpful to seek support from mentors or tutors to help you get back on track.

What are some resources available for those returning to physics?

There are many resources available for those returning to physics, such as online courses, textbooks, and study groups. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer programs specifically designed for individuals returning to physics, providing support and guidance throughout the process. It is also recommended to attend conferences and workshops to stay updated on the latest advancements and network with professionals in the field.