Applying for REUs in Mathematics: Advice Requested

In summary: I'm not exactly optimistic about my chances either way. In summary, this person feels that they are a subpar student and has little hope of getting into a REU this year.
R.P.F.
Hey guys,

This year is my first time of applying to REUs in mathematics. So far I have not heard any good news. I feel that I might have made a lot of mistakes in the process of applying. Even if I cannot get into the REUs that I am interested in, it is still good to actually learn something from the experience. So could someone give me some guidance?
What it takes to get into a REU like SMALL or Cornell? Apparently being a 4.0 student from one of the top liberal arts is far from enough...
Do students who attend comprehensive universities are more advantaged than students who attend liberal arts?

Any guidance/advice is appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems a little early to worry, doesn't it? Some of the (physics) programs I've applied to say they'll give responses on March 15th, some later than even that.

REU's are built for individuals from smaller liberal arts schools. They are built for student who wouldn't normally get these research opportunities. So, being from a liberal arts school is probably to your advantage.

REU's are incredibly competitive. More so than many graduate program admissions. Being a 4.0GPA from any school won't guarantee you a spot at an REU. It seems the only thing better to have on your resume besides good grades and self-motivation is a previous REU.

I believe that recommendations are very important. Both of the programs I've been accepted into (for physics) have mentioned that I had very strong recommendations, in addition to a 4.0 GPA.

So, if you don't get in anywhere this year, I'd recommend spending next year forming a close relationship with at least one professor, so as to be able to get a very strong letter from him/her.

Also, If you don't get in this summer, your best bet is to find some opportunity at your own university. (There may not be much, but it couldn't hurt to look around.)

Then, next year, you will have a professor who can write about your research ability in his letter. You will gain experience and a good recommendation, both of which will help the next time you apply to REU's.

Yes, REU's are a strange business.

I have a 4.0, research every year, a publication, and did a past reu at cornell. Yet, I am still rejected from 80% of the programs I apply to. Most of these are also schools that I would never consider attending for grad school. But these programs are focused on recruiting minorities, females, first gen-college students, and every other "disadvantaged" being you can think of. Maybe I should just not work, live on wellfare, marry a black women, so that my children can have opportunities. (yes angry)

My understanding is that like PhDorBust wrote most REUs have an unusual focus on minorities, and if you do not fall into such a group you really are at a disadvantage.

I think Cornell, Duluth, etc., are the exceptions in that they don't care nearly as much about minorities. Cornell even has a separate summer program (http://www.math.cornell.edu/~smi/) for that stuff, presumably so that they can separate it from their REU.

I think recommendations are by far the most important part. You want somebody to write that you're the best student they've had in X years and to recount in their letter some difficult feat you pulled off in their presence, or something similar. For Duluth, which I can't get into, that's not nearly enough, and it seems you need some national or international-level awards and that you are at a very severe disadvantage if you're not in the Ivy League + MIT + Stanford + Caltech.

PhDorBust said:

I have a 4.0, research every year, a publication, and did a past reu at cornell. Yet, I am still rejected from 80% of the programs I apply to. Most of these are also schools that I would never consider attending for grad school. But these programs are focused on recruiting minorities, females, first gen-college students, and every other "disadvantaged" being you can think of. Maybe I should just not work, live on wellfare, marry a black women, so that my children can have opportunities. (yes angry)

Alternatively, you can just relish in your success in the future when your equally competent women/minority peers are at the short end of the tenure, lab space, and salary sticks. Then you can just buy opportunities for your children AND they won't have to feel like outsiders in a white male dominated boys club.

zpconn said:
My understanding is that like PhDorBust wrote most REUs have an unusual focus on minorities, and if you do not fall into such a group you really are at a disadvantage.

Well, we'll see. I think I'm a crappy student with sub-par essays (albeit a few good things on my transcript, I guess), but I'm a URM so...I'll see if I can confirm such things.

Btw, do you have any relation to Jack Conn?

Jack21222 said:
Seems a little early to worry, doesn't it? Some of the (physics) programs I've applied to say they'll give responses on March 15th, some later than even that.
A lot of REUs are sending out offers. Well, at least the prestigious ones..I guess if I haven't heard back from them, I'll get a rejection soon because it is very unlikely that someone will give up the spot.

G01 said:
REU's are built for individuals from smaller liberal arts schools. They are built for student who wouldn't normally get these research opportunities. So, being from a liberal arts school is probably to your advantage.

REU's are incredibly competitive. More so than many graduate program admissions. Being a 4.0GPA from any school won't guarantee you a spot at an REU. It seems the only thing better to have on your resume besides good grades and self-motivation is a previous REU.

Yeah I am totally surprised. But that is also comforting, because I thought I would never get into grad schools since I cannot get into REUs..

PhDorBust said:

I could see how that is a disadvantage..but at least you get into 20%! And also I believe the most prestigious rues do not focus on minorities so much.

zpconn said:

I think Cornell, Duluth, etc., are the exceptions in that they don't care nearly as much about minorities. Cornell even has a separate summer program (http://www.math.cornell.edu/~smi/) for that stuff, presumably so that they can separate it from their REU.

I think recommendations are by far the most important part. You want somebody to write that you're the best student they've had in X years and to recount in their letter some difficult feat you pulled off in their presence, or something similar. For Duluth, which I can't get into, that's not nearly enough, and it seems you need some national or international-level awards and that you are at a very severe disadvantage if you're not in the Ivy League + MIT + Stanford + Caltech.
Spriteling said:
I believe that recommendations are very important. Both of the programs I've been accepted into (for physics) have mentioned that I had very strong recommendations, in addition to a 4.0 GPA.

So, if you don't get in anywhere this year, I'd recommend spending next year forming a close relationship with at least one professor, so as to be able to get a very strong letter from him/her.
Yeah I think recommendations are probably the thing that went wrong. One of my letter writer is very young and therefore not persuasive. Is it appropriate to ask my professor to say that I am 'the best student they've had in X years'? I mean I'm a 4.0 student but I have definitely seen smarter people in the department.

Last edited:
R.P.F. said:
Is it appropriate to ask my professor to say that I am 'the best student they've had in X years' even when I am actually not? I mean I'm a 4.0 student but I have definitely seen smarter people in the department.

This is absolutely absurd. Not only do you want to tell your recommender how to write his or her letter, but you're actually encouraging them to lie? That's completely ridiculous. From what I've heard, the best recommendations come from people who are honest about your strengths and flaws as a scientist/mathematician and individual. And given that the professor has likely written a few letters in his or her day, and perhaps even sat on some committees reading them, I don't think you should be telling them what to do (completely aside from the fact that it's ridiculously rude and unprofessional).

Nabeshin said:
This is absolutely absurd. Not only do you want to tell your recommender how to write his or her letter, but you're actually encouraging them to lie? That's completely ridiculous. From what I've heard, the best recommendations come from people who are honest about your strengths and flaws as a scientist/mathematician and individual. And given that the professor has likely written a few letters in his or her day, and perhaps even sat on some committees reading them, I don't think you should be telling them what to do (completely aside from the fact that it's ridiculously rude and unprofessional).

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I guess I was just so desperate that I lost rationality..

R.P.F. said:
Comforting, because I thought I would never get into grad schools since I cannot get into REUs..

If you keep your GPA up, study for the GRE-Physics, and get some research, even if it isn't at an REU, you'll be ready for grad school admissions, don't worry.

What are REUs in Mathematics?

REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates) in Mathematics are summer programs designed to provide undergraduate students with hands-on research experiences in mathematics. They are funded by the National Science Foundation and are hosted at various universities across the U.S.

Who is eligible to apply for REUs in Mathematics?

Undergraduate students who are majoring in mathematics or a related field, have completed at least one year of college coursework, and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply for REUs in Mathematics.

How do I apply for REUs in Mathematics?

To apply for REUs in Mathematics, you will need to submit an application through the NSF's website. Each REU program may have specific requirements, so make sure to carefully read the application instructions for each program you are interested in.

What can I expect from an REU in Mathematics?

During an REU in Mathematics, you will work closely with a faculty mentor on a research project in mathematics. You will also attend seminars, workshops, and other activities designed to enhance your research skills and prepare you for graduate studies.

How can I increase my chances of getting accepted into an REU in Mathematics?

To increase your chances of getting accepted into an REU in Mathematics, make sure to have a strong academic record in mathematics and related courses, have letters of recommendation from professors, and tailor your application to each program you are applying to. It may also be helpful to have previous research experience or attend conferences and workshops related to your research interests.