REU program Letters of recommendation

In summary, the individual is planning on applying for an REU program and has a strong recommendation from their research mentor, but no other connections. They are considering asking a math professor or a postdoc for a supplemental letter of recommendation. It is advised to go with the math professor, as they know the individual well and do not necessarily need to attend office hours for a strong letter. It is also advised to avoid asking the postdoc, as they do not have a high enough professional standing.
Null_
I plan on applying for an REU program this summer. I know my research mentor will write a very good recommendation, and is well-known in the field. However, I have no other connections. The applications are due in March, so I think I shouldn't place too much stock in next semester's professors. I don't particularly like the professor of my only "major" class (ChemE), but I do like my math professor and have had him for two semesters (albeit, I don't go to office hours or speak up in class, but I do well and he knows my name). Should I start attending his office hours just for this purpose? Or should I suck up to my ChemE prof?

OR, is it acceptable to get a graduate student or postdoc to write a LOR? Both of these see me every day in the lab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I've not personally been involved with selection of REU students before to really accurately judge. That said:

First, a strong recommendation from a current research advisor will probably make a pretty strong application, so you just need a supplemental 2nd (presumably required) letter that probably doesn't have to be terribly strong unless you're applying to an extremely competitive REU program.

So.. I'd go for either (a) the math professor that knows you well (and no, since you are doing well in his class you don't need to go to his office hours unless you feel you want to discuss some extra non-course required topics and those discussions might improve such a letter when the time for it to be written comes) or (b) the postdoc that knows your work in the lab (not the grad student... he/she does have some supervision over you, but doesn't yet have probably a high enough professional standing).

Thanks for the advice. I'm hesitant to ask the post doc because while we do speak almost every day, we are working on completely different aspects of somewhat unrelated projects (they share basically one main thing in common)...so we never work together. I'm glad to hear that my math prof will be acceptable. :)

1. How many letters of recommendation do I need for an REU program?

Typically, most REU programs require 2-3 letters of recommendation. However, it is always best to check the specific program's requirements beforehand.

2. Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation for an REU program?

It is recommended to ask professors or researchers who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in the REU program. It is important to choose recommenders who can provide strong and detailed letters of recommendation.

3. What should be included in a letter of recommendation for an REU program?

A strong letter of recommendation should include specific examples of your academic achievements, research experience, and personal qualities that make you a good fit for the REU program. It should also highlight your potential for success in the program and your future career goals.

4. Can I submit letters of recommendation from previous internship or research experiences?

Yes, you can submit letters of recommendation from previous internship or research experiences. These letters should still be from individuals who know you well and can speak to your abilities and potential for success in the REU program.

5. Is it okay to ask for a letter of recommendation from a professor I haven't had in a while?

It is generally recommended to ask for letters of recommendation from professors or researchers who have had recent interactions with you and can speak to your current abilities. However, if you have maintained a strong relationship with a professor and they can still provide a detailed and positive letter of recommendation, it is okay to ask even if you haven't had them recently.