1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reverse Piezoelectric Effect - how much?

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the help! I'm trying to better understand the reverse piezoelectric effect. More specifically what the reaction of the material would be with an applied energy.

Is there deformation or just vibration?
    Is it controllable?
    Is it repeatable?
    Does it diminish over time?
    Can it be activated by induction?
    Moving magnetic field?

Let's say for example I coat one side of a thin piece of metal with a piezoelectric material. Apply some electricity, would it be possible to bend the metal? (Assume the metal is very thin/flexible).

Also any sources that are on this specific topic would be greatly appreciated. Even papers in journals and the sort would be great. Thanks again,

Thanks,

-T

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can check out the datasheets for various piezo film products, to get an idea for their capabilities. I googled piezo film, and got lots of good hits. Here's the first hit, for a manufacturer of piezo film sensors:

http://www.meas-spec.com/piezo-film-sensors.aspx

4. Apr 7, 2010 #3
    Is there deformation or just vibration? ***Deformation under DC voltage. Vibration under AC.
    Is it controllable? ***degree of deformation depends upon the value of input voltage.
    Is it repeatable? ***Yes.
    Does it diminish over time? ***The amount of deformation will hold as long as the voltage is on. There is fatigue over time.
    Can it be activated by induction? ***No.
    Moving magnetic field? ***No.

Also, for the example you gave, yes, you can bend the metal that way because metals are not piezoelectric (thus no reverse piezoelectric effect for them). Google "piezoelectric cantilevers" and you will find tons of info on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook