Reverse Piezoelectric Effect - how much?

In summary, the reverse piezoelectric effect can be used to bend thin metal, but it is not repeatable or controllable.
tarnishd
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the help! I'm trying to better understand the reverse piezoelectric effect. More specifically what the reaction of the material would be with an applied energy.

Is there deformation or just vibration?
Is it controllable?
Is it repeatable?
Does it diminish over time?
Can it be activated by induction?
Moving magnetic field?

Let's say for example I coat one side of a thin piece of metal with a piezoelectric material. Apply some electricity, would it be possible to bend the metal? (Assume the metal is very thin/flexible).

Also any sources that are on this specific topic would be greatly appreciated. Even papers in journals and the sort would be great. Thanks again,

Thanks,

-T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tarnishd said:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the help! I'm trying to better understand the reverse piezoelectric effect. More specifically what the reaction of the material would be with an applied energy.

Is it controllable?
Is it repeatable?
Moving magnetic field?

Let's say for example I coat one side of a thin piece of metal with a piezoelectric material. Apply some electricity, would it be possible to bend the metal? (Assume the metal is very thin/flexible).

Also any sources that are on this specific topic would be greatly appreciated. Even papers in journals and the sort would be great. Thanks again,

Thanks,

-T

You can check out the datasheets for various piezo film products, to get an idea for their capabilities. I googled piezo film, and got lots of good hits. Here's the first hit, for a manufacturer of piezo film sensors:

http://www.meas-spec.com/piezo-film-sensors.aspx

tarnishd said:
Hello Everyone,

Is it controllable?
Is it repeatable?
Moving magnetic field?

Thanks,

-T

Is there deformation or just vibration? ***Deformation under DC voltage. Vibration under AC.
Is it controllable? ***degree of deformation depends upon the value of input voltage.
Is it repeatable? ***Yes.
Does it diminish over time? ***The amount of deformation will hold as long as the voltage is on. There is fatigue over time.
Can it be activated by induction? ***No.
Moving magnetic field? ***No.

Also, for the example you gave, yes, you can bend the metal that way because metals are not piezoelectric (thus no reverse piezoelectric effect for them). Google "piezoelectric cantilevers" and you will find tons of info on that.

1. How does the reverse piezoelectric effect work?

The reverse piezoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which an applied electric field causes a change in the shape or size of a material. This is due to the alignment of electric dipoles within the material, which creates a mechanical strain. This effect is the opposite of the direct piezoelectric effect, in which a mechanical force causes an electric current to flow.

2. What materials exhibit the reverse piezoelectric effect?

The reverse piezoelectric effect can occur in a variety of materials, including crystals, ceramics, and polymers. Some commonly used materials for this effect include quartz, barium titanate, and lead zirconate titanate.

3. How is the magnitude of the reverse piezoelectric effect measured?

The magnitude of the reverse piezoelectric effect is typically measured by the piezoelectric coefficient, which is a measure of the amount of strain produced by a given electric field. It is expressed in units of meters per volt (m/V) or meters per newton (m/N).

4. Can the reverse piezoelectric effect be used in practical applications?

Yes, the reverse piezoelectric effect has many practical applications in various fields, including sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting. For example, piezoelectric materials can be used in ultrasound imaging, vibration sensors, and inkjet printers.

5. How can the reverse piezoelectric effect be enhanced?

The reverse piezoelectric effect can be enhanced by using materials with higher piezoelectric coefficients, or by applying a larger electric field. Additionally, the use of multilayered or composite materials can also increase the magnitude of the effect. Researchers are also exploring new materials and techniques to further improve the reverse piezoelectric effect for various applications.