Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversibility, adiabatic-ness, quasi-static

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    I am taking a course in statistical physics where we keep using the terms in the title. I think I understand them as stand alone terms, but I do not understand any relationships. For example, does quasi-static and reversible imply adiabatic? Does one of them imply some of the others? What would all three of them together say about an experiment?

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    quasi-static means negligible acceleration, i.e. effects of acceleration are negligible. adiabatic process is the process where no heat transfer takes place. reversible means the process can be reversed leaving no change in universe. the last one might be a bit hard to understand. let me explain. for example if you have hot tea, it will cool after some time. you can not reverse this process by not changing the universe, you have to use heat pump to reverse the process but it will require some work. and if you give work with your muscles that means now you are tired. so everything is back except that now you are tired which means something has changed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook