Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reviewing for the FE exam, came across questionable thermo problem.

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    Im studying for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (coming up April 12!!) and came across this Thermodynamics problem in my review book.

So the work for an isothermal process is RTA*ln(VB/VA), where VA was previously determined to be 0.103m3.

In the solution to the problem, the RTA term is replaced with PA*VA, where it should be (PA*VA)/n from the ideal gas law.

Is this solution wrong? As I see it, this cant be solved without knowing the number of moles of gas (or mass of the gas depending on which R is used). I was unable to get the correct answer, and the solution seems wrong to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solution should have replaced nRTA with PAVA. You don't need to know the amount of gas to solve this problem.

EDIT: I get -18.8 kJ for the work done in the A-to-B process.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?