1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolution Volume by Cylinder Shells

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Rotate about x-axis the region enclosed by y=e^x, y=1/x, x=1 and x=2. I can do the problem with the rings method but I don't how to even set up the integral to solve by the shells method. Help? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The two curves cross well before x= 1 so you have a region in which y=ex is the upper curve and y= 1/x is the lower. That means that the length of your cylinder is exx- 1/x. The radius is x so you cylinder will have a surface area, for each x, of [itex]2\pi x(e^x- 1/x)[/itex]. Multiply that by the "thickness", dx, to find the differential of volume.
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Thanks, but since the region enclosed by the boundaries given is rotated about the x-axis, then, doesn't it mean that the radius of the cylinder is y? I'm a little confused. ??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?