Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ricci tensor proportional to divergence of Christoffel symbol?

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    I'm reading an old article published by Kaluza "On the Unity Problem of Physics" where i encounter an expression for the Ricci tensor given by

$$R_{\mu \nu} = \Gamma^\rho_{\ \mu \nu, \rho}$$

where he has used the weak field approximation ##g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}## where ##h## is a small deviation tensor. I have never seen this expression before. Is it true in some gauge in the weak field?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Working backwards, the Riemann tensor is

Rμνστ = Γμντ,σ - Γμνσ,τ + (quadratic terms)

Dropping the quadratic terms, the Ricci tensor is

Rντ = Γμντ,μ - Γμμν,τ

The first term is what you want - how do we get rid of the second?

Γμμν = (1/2) gμλgμλ,ν = (1/2) g

To first order, g = 1 + hμμ, so I'd say a sufficient gauge condition is that h is traceless.

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    I agree Bill K. Now I am a little bit familiar with the transverse-traceless gauge, which is a combination of the harmonic gauge ##\partial_\mu h^\mu_\nu = 0## and the trace condition ##h=\eta^{\mu \nu}h_{\mu \nu}= 0##, but as I've understood it, this gauge is only allowable in a vacuum. Is there a gauge with ##h=0## without the harmonic gauge condition for which we do not need a vacuum?

5. May 15, 2014 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

That's probably true if you want the field equation to be ◻hμν = Tμν, since then it would work only if Tμν was traceless also.

However in general, it seems to me you can always pick the coordinates to be "isovolume", that is, det(gμν) = const. (Although I haven't a clue how you would actually do that!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook