1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann integral of arcsinh (have the answer, want an explanation)

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the following sum, turn it into an integral:
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\Sigma^n_{k=1}\dfrac{1}{n\sqrt{1+(k/n)^2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The answer says [tex]=\int^2_1\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand how to get the equation, but why integrate from 1 to 2 and not from 0 to 1. if 1/n is the base length then the height should go from [tex]=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+0}}[/tex] to [tex]=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+1}}[/tex] not from [tex]=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+1}}[/tex] to [tex]=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+4}}[/tex]... or so i though??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No reason I can think of! Clearly to identify [itex]1/\sqrt{1+ (k/n)^2}[/itex] with [itex]1/\sqrt{1+ x^2}[/itex] you have to take x= k/n. But with x= k/n, when k= 1 you have x= 1/n, which goes to 0 as n goes to infinity, and when k= n you have x= 1. The integral is from 0 to 1. Your book must have a typo.

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    Ok cool thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook