Riemann tensor and covariant derivative

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor using Christoffel symbols. The person is struggling with the long and complicated equation and asks for the solution or any helpful resources. The other person suggests using the Bianchi identities to shorten the process, but the person insists on obtaining the solution through the long way. They ask for a book or pdf with the proof and clarify that they do not expect the other person to derive it on the forum. The conversation ends with a discussion about the usefulness of writing the Riemann tensor in terms of the connection and the suggestion to use Mathematica for the process.
mertcan
hi, I tried to take the covariant derivative of riemann tensor using christoffel symbols, but it is such a long equation that I have always been mixing up something. So, Could you share the entire solution, pdf file, or links with me? ((( I know this is the long way to derive the einstein tensor and using bianchi identities shorten the way, but I really want to obtain the same solution using the long way...)))

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevertheless, you can share a book which includes the solution of covariant derivative of riemann tensor I really appreciate if you help me :))))

I have not received a answer for a long time., and still waiting for your answer. I know it is a long derivation, but I would like you to remember that you do not have to make a derivation on this forum, I just ask you to share pdf, book, link... which includes the proof. I hope your valuable return...

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for. The Riemann tensor looks like this:

[itex]R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \lambda}[/itex]

when you take covariant derivatives, you get an extra factor of a connection coefficient for each index (with a minus sign in the case of lowered indices). So:

[itex]\nabla_\nu R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \lambda} = \partial_\nu R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \lambda} + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \sigma} R^\sigma_{\alpha \beta \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \alpha} R^\mu_{\tau \beta \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \beta} R^\mu_{\alpha \tau \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \lambda} R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \tau}[/itex]

What else are you wanting to know about it? Did you want to write out [itex]R[/itex] in terms of [itex]\Gamma[/itex]? That's an enormous mess.

stevendaryl said:
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for. The Riemann tensor looks like this:

when you take covariant derivatives, you get an extra factor of a connection coefficient for each index (with a minus sign in the case of lowered indices). So:

[itex]\nabla_\nu R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \lambda} = \partial_\nu R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \lambda} + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \sigma} R^\sigma_{\alpha \beta \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \alpha} R^\mu_{\tau \beta \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \beta} R^\mu_{\alpha \tau \lambda} - \Gamma^\tau_{\nu \lambda} R^\mu_{\alpha \beta \tau}[/itex]

What else are you wanting to know about it? Did you want to write out [itex]R[/itex] in terms of [itex]\Gamma[/itex]? That's an enormous mess.
stevendaryl said:

I started with what you had written down in your post, but as you said it is a mess, and I am mixing up something due to enormous mess. I just want to see the full solution and I do not want you to be exhausted to derive the solution on this forum, so that is why I am asking you to share a file or other things which include this enormous solution:))) If you have, I will be very pleased

But why would you want to write ##R^\mu_{\quad \alpha\beta\lambda}## in terms of the connection?
It's a useless exercise if you ask me.

Other than that you could use mathematica but it will still take a bit of writing, especially paying attention that you have a valid expression.

1. What is the Riemann tensor and its significance in differential geometry?

The Riemann tensor, also known as the Riemann curvature tensor, is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of a manifold in differential geometry. It measures how the curvature of a manifold changes in different directions and is an important tool in studying the geometry of curved spaces.

2. How is the Riemann tensor related to the covariant derivative?

The Riemann tensor is closely related to the covariant derivative, which is a way of taking derivatives on a manifold that accounts for the curvature of the space. The Riemann tensor is used to define the covariant derivative and is necessary for understanding how the curvature of a manifold affects the behavior of vectors and tensors on that manifold.

3. What is the difference between the Riemann tensor and the Ricci tensor?

The Riemann tensor and the Ricci tensor are both mathematical objects used in differential geometry, but they serve different purposes. The Riemann tensor is a four-dimensional object that describes the curvature of a manifold, while the Ricci tensor is a two-dimensional object that summarizes some of the information contained in the Riemann tensor.

4. How is the Riemann tensor used in general relativity?

The Riemann tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity in terms of the curvature of spacetime. The Riemann tensor is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime and relates it to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Riemann tensor and covariant derivative?

The Riemann tensor and covariant derivative have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in general relativity to study the behavior of black holes and the universe, in fluid mechanics to model the flow of fluids in curved spaces, and in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of curved surfaces. They also have practical applications in navigation, GPS systems, and image processing.