Rigid body Newton’s law homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the speaker knows how to get the answers but has some uncertainties. They question how to determine if the rod is experiencing centripetal motion and how to calculate the angular acceleration when using moment about point G. They also confirm that the radius is 0.4 because the two ends of the rod are in motion. The conversation also mentions a previous post about a tipping cabinet and the speaker's confusion about the problem.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Problem and solution below
Relevant Equations
F = ma
Moment equation
For this problem I know how to get the answers but I have a few things I’m not 100% sure about. First how do we know that the rod is experiencing centripetal motion? Second, when using moment about point G how do we know that the angular acceleration is equal to zero? And third the radius is 0.4 because the two ends of the rod are in motion with radius of 0.4 right?

Attachments

• 563A4A1F-6BDF-45C1-8521-D1844F89B42A.png
    563A4A1F-6BDF-45C1-8521-D1844F89B42A.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 89C330BF-FD9C-48A7-A3CE-BF98367EB89B.png
    89C330BF-FD9C-48A7-A3CE-BF98367EB89B.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 126
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Because 200 N + 300 N > mg
2. Because the ropes fix the angle of the rod ##\rightarrow## it can't rotate around G
3. Yes
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I know how to get the answers
yea, because it seems you have a solutions manual at your disposition ? PF rules in fact require you to post your own attempt at solution :smile:

Likes Lnewqban
Well my test is on Monday and I still have another 10 question in the problem set. I can’t afford to get stuck on every single question.

I see. Was my reply in #2 ok with you ?

##\ ##

Yea I guess I see it. Since the bar isn’t rotating around point G or around any point on the bar itself so regardless of which point I chose the angular acceleration will always be zero right?

Likes Lnewqban and BvU
002-four-bar-linkages-4-728.jpg

TintedHelpfulAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.gif

Hey you commented on my other post. The one with the tipping cabinet. Do you mind looking at it because I still have some confusion.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Hey you commented on my other post. The one with the tipping cabinet. Do you mind looking at it because I still have some confusion.
Me too. :frown:

Lol, yea Ik the signs don’t make sense

1. What is a rigid body in Newton's law?

A rigid body is an idealized object that does not deform under external forces. It is assumed to have a constant mass and maintain its shape and size throughout any interactions or movements.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does Newton's second law apply to rigid bodies?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This applies to rigid bodies as they have a constant mass and can experience acceleration when acted upon by an external force.

4. What is the equation for Newton's second law?

The equation for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

5. How can Newton's laws be used to solve problems involving rigid bodies?

Newton's laws can be used to analyze the motion of rigid bodies and determine the forces acting on them. By applying the equations and principles of Newton's laws, the acceleration, velocity, and position of a rigid body can be calculated in various scenarios.