Rindler Observer: Unruh Effect & Spacetime Geometry

• Thread starter pythagoras88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary: This might not be what you were looking for, but it should at least help you understand what's going on.
pythagoras88
Hi,

I read sean carroll book, "spacetime and geometry" and in the last chapter where he tries to derive unruh effect, he introduced the concept of Rindler coordinate.

There is this part where he considers an accelerating observer in minkowski metric and introduce the trajectory blah blah. My question is, since the observer is accelerating, there must be some sort of fuel or energy propelling, so this energy by itself will actually result in curvature in the spacetime manifold. So isn't the consideration of accelerating observer in minkowski space invalid??

Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
The observer is supposed to be a 'test particle,' i.e. one who's mass is small enough that its own gravitational field is negligible.

oh, ok... haha... i guess it is a trivial question. So it is juest an accelerating particle that does not affect the spacetime.

Initially i was thinking, because an accelerating observer will have an rindler horizon given by x=t and x=-t. Then is it possible that the energy used to accelerate the particle cause a curvature in spacetime such that it create an event horizon. Then maybe this event horizon may actually coincide with the rindler horizon.

Anyway, Thanks for the reply.

The Rindler space-time isn't curved in the sense of having a non-zero curvature tensor.

My rather vague understanding of the Unruh effect is that, although the Rindler and standard space-times are both flat, the coordinates are different. And while they both have time translation symmetries, the time translation symmetry represented by the t coordinate in the Minkowski space is different from the time translation symmetry represented by the coordinate t' in the Rindler space, because the coordinates are different. This results in concepts of energy (which result from Noether's theorem - every time translation symmetry corresponds to a conserved energy) which are different in the two spaces.

Related to Rindler Observer: Unruh Effect & Spacetime Geometry

1. What is the Rindler Observer?

The Rindler Observer is an imaginary observer moving in a straight line through flat spacetime. It is used as a simplified model to study the effects of motion and acceleration on the perception of time and space.

2. What is the Unruh Effect?

The Unruh Effect is a theoretical prediction that an accelerating observer will perceive a thermal radiation where an inertial observer would not. This effect is a consequence of the observer's acceleration and the principle of equivalence in general relativity.

3. How does the Rindler Observer relate to the Unruh Effect?

The Rindler Observer is used as a model to study the Unruh Effect because it simplifies the problem by assuming a constant acceleration and a flat spacetime. This allows for easier calculations and insights into the effects of acceleration on the observer's perception of spacetime.

4. What is the significance of the Unruh Effect in physics?

The Unruh Effect has significant implications for our understanding of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It suggests that acceleration can have a measurable effect on the perception of time and space, which could have implications for the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Can the Unruh Effect be experimentally tested?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the Unruh Effect, and it remains a theoretical prediction. However, some experiments have been proposed to test its existence, such as using high-energy particle accelerators to simulate the acceleration of the Rindler Observer. More research and advancements in technology may eventually allow for the direct observation of the Unruh Effect.