1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring and Linear Transformation

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1
    Let [tex]g(x)\in F[x][/tex], [tex]T\in L(V)[/tex]. Let [tex]F[T][/tex] be a ring generated by [tex]g(T)[/tex]. Show that if [tex]g(T)[/tex] is invertible, then [tex]g^{-1}(T)\in F[T][/tex].

No idea what do do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The statement of the problem is confusing. I'm going to assume V is a vector space over the field F.

Now, F[T] is not just "a" ring -- it is a very specific ring. It is (isomorphic to) the subring of L(V) that is generated by F and T.

So, I'm confused when you say that you let it be "a ring generated by g(T)".

Did you mean to say something to the effect if:

"Suppose g(T) generates F[T]"

or maybe

"Let F[g(T)] be the ring generated by g(T)"

or even just

"So g(T) is an element of F[T]"

(I suspect you meant the first one -- work out what that really means)
  4. Mar 8, 2006 #3
    It's either the first or third. Let's assume the first, since I must show that the inverse of g(T) is a positive powered polynomial.
  5. Mar 8, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so what does it mean that g(T) generates F[T]? Any interesting particular cases?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?