Ring Epimorphism and Nil Radical

In summary, if you want to show that a ring epimorphism $\theta$ includes a certain nil ideal in its domain, you need to show that the nilradical of the domain of $\theta$ is also included in the domain of $\theta$.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I failed to do correctly in an exam. I want to find the answer to this and understand it fully. Any comments, hints would be greatly appreciated.

Question:

If $\theta:\, R\rightarrow S$ is a ring epimorphism, prove that \(\theta(\mbox{Nil }( R))\subseteq\mbox{Nil }(S)\) where $\mbox{Nil}( R)$ is the nil radical (sum of all nil two sided ideals of $R$).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I failed to do correctly in an exam. I want to find the answer to this and understand it fully. Any comments, hints would be greatly appreciated.

Question:

If $\theta:\, R\rightarrow S$ is a ring epimorphism, prove that \(\theta(\mbox{Nil }( R))\subseteq\mbox{Nil }(S)\) where $\mbox{Nil}( R)$ is the nil radical (sum of all nil two sided ideals of $R$).

I think I got the answer to this one. Take any element, $\theta(x)\in \theta(\mbox{Nil }( R))$. Then $x\in\mbox{Nil }( R)$ and therefore $x^n=0$ for some $n$. Since $\theta$ is a ring homomorphism, $[\theta(x)]^n=\theta(x^n)=\theta(0)=0$ and therefore $\theta(x)\in\mbox{Nil }( S)\Rightarrow \theta(\mbox{Nil }( R))\subseteq\mbox{Nil }(S)$. The thing I don't understand is where I have to use the fact that $\theta$ is an epimorphism ? :confused:

Edit: I think I know what is happening here. In the book this problem was taken there is another part that asks to show that $\theta(\mbox{Rad }( R)) \subseteq\mbox{Rad }(S)$ where $\mbox{Rad }(R )$ denotes the Jacobson radical of $R$. Perhaps this is where the fact that $\theta$ is an epimorphism is used. :)

Suppose $I$ is a nil ideal of $R$. Then $\theta(I)$ is a nil ideal of $S$ (here it is vital that $\theta$ be surjective, or else the multiplicative property of an ideal may fail).

It follows that any sum of nil ideals in $R$ is mapped by $\theta$ to a nil ideal in $S$.

(Note: strictly speaking, ring epimorphisms need not be surjective maps, although some texts use the term in this sense. For example, the inclusion map: $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb Q$ is an epimorphism in the strict sense, but is not surjective, since any map: $\Bbb Q \to R$ is uniquely determined by its values on the integers).

Deveno said:
Suppose $I$ is a nil ideal of $R$. Then $\theta(I)$ is a nil ideal of $S$ (here it is vital that $\theta$ be surjective, or else the multiplicative property of an ideal may fail).

Ohhhh….. (Nod) So I should show that $\theta(\mbox{Nil }(R ))$ is an ideal before showing that it's included in $\mbox{Nil }(S)$. And for this I need the surjective (epimorphism) property. Is this what you meant?

Deveno said:
It follows that any sum of nil ideals in $R$ is mapped by $\theta$ to a nil ideal in $S$.

(Note: strictly speaking, ring epimorphisms need not be surjective maps, although some texts use the term in this sense. For example, the inclusion map: $\Bbb Z \to \Bbb Q$ is an epimorphism in the strict sense, but is not surjective, since any map: $\Bbb Q \to R$ is uniquely determined by its values on the integers).

I know that there's this difference between epimorphisms and surjective maps, but in our case I am pretty sure that the term epimorphism is used to mean a surjective ring homomorphism. :)

Yes! The nilradical of $S$ may be somewhat smaller than the set of all nilpotent elements (since this set may not even be closed under addition). So showing that $\theta(r)$ is nilpotent when $r$ is, is necessary, but not sufficient.

If, however, you show $\theta(r)$ lies in some nil ideal, it necessarily must lie in the nilradical of $S$.

Here is how the surjectivity comes into play:

Clearly, for any ideal $I,\ \theta(I)$ is an additive subgroup of $S$ (since $\theta$ is an abelian group homomorphism, as all ring homomorphisms are).

Now if we pick any $s \in S, y \in \theta(I)$, since $\theta$ is surjective:

$s = \theta(r)$ for some $r \in R$.

Thus:

$sy = \theta(r)\theta(x) = \theta(rx)$ for some $x \in I$.

Since $I$ is an ideal, $rx \in I$, thus $sy \in \theta(I)$.

Deveno said:
Yes! The nilradical of $S$ may be somewhat smaller than the set of all nilpotent elements (since this set may not even be closed under addition). So showing that $\theta(r)$ is nilpotent when $r$ is, is necessary, but not sufficient.

If, however, you show $\theta(r)$ lies in some nil ideal, it necessarily must lie in the nilradical of $S$.

Here is how the surjectivity comes into play:

Clearly, for any ideal $I,\ \theta(I)$ is an additive subgroup of $S$ (since $\theta$ is an abelian group homomorphism, as all ring homomorphisms are).

Now if we pick any $s \in S, y \in \theta(I)$, since $\theta$ is surjective:

$s = \theta(r)$ for some $r \in R$.

Thus:

$sy = \theta(r)\theta(x) = \theta(rx)$ for some $x \in I$.

Since $I$ is an ideal, $rx \in I$, thus $sy \in \theta(I)$.

Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver. Now that I have understood the gist of the problem, I will read the additional details you gave me. Thanks again. :)

Related to Ring Epimorphism and Nil Radical

1. What is a ring epimorphism?

A ring epimorphism is a type of homomorphism between two rings, which is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of the rings. Specifically, a ring epimorphism is a surjective homomorphism, meaning that it is onto (every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain) and it preserves the ring operations of addition and multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a ring epimorphism and a ring isomorphism?

While a ring epimorphism is a surjective homomorphism, a ring isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism. This means that a ring isomorphism is both onto and one-to-one (every element in the codomain has exactly one preimage in the domain). In other words, a ring isomorphism is a bijective ring epimorphism.

3. What is the nil radical of a ring?

The nil radical of a ring is the set of all nilpotent elements in the ring, where an element is considered nilpotent if it can be raised to some power and equal 0. In other words, the nil radical of a ring is the set of all elements that become 0 after a finite number of multiplications. It is denoted by N(R) or nil(R).

4. How are ring epimorphisms and the nil radical related?

Ring epimorphisms and the nil radical are related in that the image of a ring epimorphism is always contained in the nil radical of the codomain. In other words, the image of a ring epimorphism only consists of nilpotent elements. This is because the ring epimorphism preserves the ring operations, and multiplying a nilpotent element by any other element will also result in a nilpotent element.

5. What is the significance of the nil radical in ring theory?

The nil radical is significant in ring theory because it provides a way to study the structure of a ring by looking at its nilpotent elements. The nil radical is an ideal of the ring, and it is often used to construct other important ideals and quotient rings. It also plays a role in characterizing the simplicity of a ring, as a ring is simple if and only if its nil radical is the only nontrivial ideal.