Finitely Generated Modules and Artinian Rings

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Artinian rings and a lemma related to it. The conversation also includes a request for confirmation of a solution and a compliment on the ease of understanding of the concept by one of the participants.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's another question that I am struggling to complete. If you have any hints or suggestions for this one, I would be so grateful. :)

Question:

Let $S\subseteq R$ be rings and assume that $R_S$ is a finitely generated $S$-module. If $S$ is Artinian prove that $R$ is also Artinian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Here's another question that I am struggling to complete. If you have any hints or suggestions for this one, I would be so grateful. :)

Question:

Let $S\subseteq R$ be rings and assume that $R_S$ is a finitely generated $S$-module. If $S$ is Artinian prove that $R$ is also Artinian.

I came up with an answer and it would be nice if someone can confirm it, or show mistakes in it. :)

There is a lemma that says, "Let $V$ be a finitely generated $R$-module. If $R$ is Artinian, then so is $V$." By this lemma, we know that $R_S$ ($R$ as a $S$-module) is Artinian. So if we take any decreasing chain of $R$-submodules of $R_R$;

\[R_R \supseteq W_1\supseteq \cdots \supseteq W_n \supseteq \cdots\]

Each $R$-submodule is also a $S$-submodule. Since $R_S$ is Artinian the above chain should stabilize at some point and therefore $R_R$ is also Artinian.

I don't see a problem with this, but...

Can you prove the lemma?

Deveno said:
I don't see a problem with this, but...

Can you prove the lemma?

Thank you so much for confirming. :) Yes I can prove it since I went through the proof which is in the textbook I am referring for Ring Theory (A Course in Ring Theory by Passman). The proof in lengthy and uses several other lemmas which are mentioned previously in the book, so I am not going to write down it here.

Thanks again for all your help. I sometimes wonder how some people (like you) grasp hard concepts in Ring Theory very easily whereas I have to go through the textbooks, internet, forums etc, for hours to figure them out. :)

Don't get discouraged...I found rings very hard, too.

Sudharaka said:
Thank you so much for confirming. :) Yes I can prove it since I went through the proof which is in the textbook I am referring for Ring Theory (A Course in Ring Theory by Passman). The proof in lengthy and uses several other lemmas which are mentioned previously in the book, so I am not going to write down it here.

Thanks again for all your help. I sometimes wonder how some people (like you) grasp hard concepts in Ring Theory very easily whereas I have to go through the textbooks, internet, forums etc, for hours to figure them out. :)

Thank you for this post Sudharaka.

It is heartening to find that other members find ring theory a challenge ...

... very rewarding when you achieve understanding of such a wonderful theory though ...
Peter

Peter said:
Thank you for this post Sudharaka.

It is heartening to find that other members find ring theory a challenge ...

... very rewarding when you achieve understanding of such a wonderful theory though ...
Peter

Hi Peter, :)

You are welcome, surely you'll see me posting a lot of ring theory questions.

Related to Finitely Generated Modules and Artinian Rings

1. What is a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is a module over a ring that can be generated by a finite number of elements. This means that all elements of the module can be written as a linear combination of a finite set of generators.

2. How are finitely generated modules related to Artinian rings?

Finitely generated modules are closely related to Artinian rings because every finitely generated module over an Artinian ring is itself Artinian. This means that the descending chain condition holds for finitely generated modules over Artinian rings.

3. What is the descending chain condition for Artinian rings?

The descending chain condition for Artinian rings states that any descending chain of ideals in the ring must eventually stabilize, meaning there is a finite number of steps in the chain before it reaches the zero ideal. This property is important in the study of Artinian rings and their modules.

4. How are Noetherian rings and Artinian rings related?

Noetherian rings and Artinian rings are both types of finite dimensional rings, meaning they have a finite number of generators. However, Noetherian rings satisfy the ascending chain condition for ideals, while Artinian rings satisfy the descending chain condition for ideals.

5. What are some examples of Artinian rings?

Some examples of Artinian rings include finite fields, polynomial rings over finite fields, and rings of matrices over a finite field. In general, any finite dimensional algebra over a field is Artinian.