1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring problem: nilpotent elements and units

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be a ring with multiplicative identity. Let u [itex]\in[/itex] R be a unit and let a1, ..., ak be nilpotent elements that commute with each other and with u. To show: u + a1 + ... + ak is a unit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Need to show that u'(u + a1 + ... + ak)=1 for some u' [itex]\in[/itex] R.
    I know that 1 - ai is a unit (i=1,2,...,k) since each ai is nilpotent.
    So i'm trying to think of possible candidates for u'.
    My attempt so far have been to try and cancel the ai terms by multiplying
    u + a1 + ... + ak by a1n-1, where a1n =0 and so on for all all a_i but this leaves me with ua1n-1...akm-1 and doesn't seem to be leading anywhere...
    Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Show first that the sum of two nilpotent elements which commute with each other is nilpotent (Hint: Generalize the binomial theorem to an arbitrary ring). Then use induction to show that the sum of k nilpotent elements which commute with each other is nilpotent. Then lastly prove that the sum of a nilpotent element and a unit is a unit (Hint: This is similar to proving 1+x is a unit, where x is nilpotent).

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    Solved, thanks! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook