RIP Edward Lodewijk (Eddie) Van Halen (Jan 26, 1955 – Oct 6, 2020)

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rip
In summary, the music world is mourning the loss of rock guitar legend Eddie van Halen, who passed away today at the age of 65 after battling cancer. Known for his incredible guitar skills and innovative playing style, van Halen rose to fame with his band Van Halen in the late 1970s. Despite trying to curb his bad habits in later life, his early excesses took a toll on his health. He will be remembered as a true innovator and one of the most influential guitarists of all time.
Physics news on Phys.org
"Recently Eddie checked into a hospital to undergo treatment for cancer symptoms in his mouth, specifically on his tongue. A heavy drinker and chain smoker, Van Halen has tried to curb his bad habits in later life, but it seems his early excesses have taken their toll before he could drop them. "

" The duo formed a series of bands in the early 1970s with names like the Broken Combs, the Trojan Rubber Company, and Genesis, but never got significant traction until they came across the charismatic son of a wealthy doctor named David Lee Roth. “Roth was the only guy who had a PA,” Eddie said. “We were renting his PA every weekend for $35 and getting $50 for the gigs. So it was cheaper to get him in the band.” "

From, https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and atyy
This one is classic:

Likes StatGuy2000 and DrClaude
I saw them in concert, probably late 1978 or in 1979 with Roth. It was definitely after the first album and maybe about the time of their second album.

Likes Klystron
I play the guitar so this definitely hit hard. This is as bad as Allan Holdsworth passing.

Eddie was the reason I picked up guitar in the first place. My high school memories are of drinking beer and cranking Women and Children First and 1984. Their first six albums are a master showcase of guitar playing, he was a legit riff master. He was a true innovator, the most influential guitarist alongside Jimi Hendrix. I am very thankful to have gotten to see them play on tour most recently. RIP Eddie.

Likes Amrator

1. Who was Eddie Van Halen?

Eddie Van Halen was a Dutch-American musician and songwriter, best known as the lead guitarist and co-founder of the rock band Van Halen.

2. When did Eddie Van Halen pass away?

Eddie Van Halen passed away on October 6, 2020 at the age of 65.

3. What was Eddie Van Halen's impact on the music industry?

Eddie Van Halen is considered one of the greatest and most influential guitarists of all time. He popularized the "tapping" technique and his innovative playing style has had a significant impact on the development of rock music.

4. What were some of Eddie Van Halen's most famous songs?

Eddie Van Halen co-wrote many of Van Halen's biggest hits, including "Jump," "Panama," and "Runnin' with the Devil." He also had a solo guitar instrumental called "Eruption" that is considered one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

5. What was Eddie Van Halen's legacy?

Eddie Van Halen's legacy is his incredible talent and influence on the music industry. He will forever be remembered as a pioneer of rock guitar and his contributions to music will continue to inspire generations of musicians.

Back