Rise in Voltage across a battery

In summary: So, for example, if you have a single electron on a metal atom, then the electric potential at the atom's surface would be considered 0V and the electric potential at the center of the atom would be +1V.
Luke0034
Let's say you have a circuit connected to a 15 volt battery. If current travels from the negative terminal of a 15 volt battery to the positive terminal, the voltage is said to rise 15 volts. I believe this is right, but correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming that is right, then does that mean that the electric potential at the negative terminal of the battery is zero volts and the electric potential at the positive end of the battery is 15 volts, because voltage is the difference in electric potential, so voltage = vf - vi = 15 V - 0 V = 15 volts. Am I correct in thinking this is the case? If so, can someone explain to me why the electric potential at the negative end of the battery is zero volts? Specifically can someone explain to me why the electric potential at the negative terminal of the battery is zero volts "REGARDLESS" of what else is in the circuit. So why is the negative terminal of the battery always zero volts in electric potential regardless if you have nothing but a wire in the circuit, 2 resistors, or 7 resistors, etc...? I could really use some help with this, conceptualizing why it's zero electric potential at the end of the circuit, regardless of what is in the circuit is killing me inside, because I can't grasp the concept. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is, it doesn't matter. All that's important is the voltage difference--unless you connect the circuit to something else. As long as you keep the battery and its circuit in isolation you can call the terminal voltages anything you want, as long as the one is 15 V higher than the other. Picking one to be zero is often convenient. But if you connect the negative pole to ground you've connected it to something that is conventionally agreed to be zero, so then you have to call it zero itself. In practice, grounding the negative pole is probably conventional enough that people automatically call that voltage zero whether it's actually grounded or not.

Luke0034 said:
. Assuming that is right, then does that mean that the electric potential at the negative terminal of the battery is zero volts and the electric potential at the positive end of the battery is 15 volts, because voltage is the difference in electric potential, so voltage = vf - vi = 15 V - 0 V = 15 volts.

You could also say the potential is -15 volts at the negative terminal and 0 at the positive. Or -7 at the negative and +8 at the positive. The only thing that matters is the difference between the terminals, not the absolute numbers, since absolute potential is impossible to measure.

Likes cnh1995
Yeah, the absolute offset of the voltages is irrelevant. As long as you do it to all parts of the circuit consistently, you can add/subtract any value you like.

This gets interesting when you consider singular charges and their electric potential. As there is no particularly good spot to call 0V, often the "infinitely far away from the charge" is used as the 0V reference.

Likes Drakkith

1. What causes an increase in voltage across a battery?

An increase in voltage across a battery is caused by a buildup of charge on one of the battery's terminals. This buildup of charge creates a potential difference, or voltage, between the two terminals of the battery.

2. How does the internal resistance of a battery affect the rise in voltage?

The internal resistance of a battery can affect the rise in voltage by causing a drop in voltage as current flows through the battery. This is known as the voltage drop due to internal resistance. As the internal resistance increases, the voltage drop also increases, resulting in a lower overall voltage across the battery terminals.

3. Can the rise in voltage across a battery be harmful?

In some cases, a rise in voltage across a battery can be harmful. If the voltage exceeds the recommended limit for the device or circuit it is powering, it can cause damage to the equipment or even pose a safety hazard. It is important to monitor and regulate the voltage across a battery to prevent potential harm.

4. How can the rise in voltage across a battery be measured?

The rise in voltage across a battery can be measured using a voltmeter. This device is specifically designed to measure voltage and can provide an accurate reading of the voltage across the battery terminals. It is important to use the appropriate type of voltmeter for the specific type of battery being measured.

5. What factors can cause the rise in voltage across a battery to fluctuate?

There are several factors that can cause the rise in voltage across a battery to fluctuate. These include changes in temperature, changes in the load on the battery, and the battery's state of charge. These fluctuations can be normal, but if they become too extreme, it may indicate an issue with the battery or the circuit it is powering.