1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC Circuit (lab session doubt)

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to answer a few questions about a lab session I did (university) and I'm really stuck with this one.
    The objective of the lab session was to find the self inductance (L) of a solenoid.

In order to do that, I had a function generator exciting a solenoid with a high self-inductance coefficient. (see image)
    sk.png
    This one, at the same time, by magnetic coupling with the solenoid whose L we want to obtain, excites the RLC circuit, causing a transient response in the form of oscillatory damped tensions. We measured the period of those oscillations and with this formula
    T=sqrt(L*C)

we can easily get the self-inductance L. No problem with that... Now, the question I'm having trouble with is the following
    "Why do we use the high self-inductance solenoid instead of just connecting the function generator directly with the problem solenoid? Hint: Keep in mind that the internal resistance of the generator is 50 ohm "

I don't know why!! :(
    2. Relevant equations

T=sqrt(L*C)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Perhaps it has something to do with limiting the current?

Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2
    Do you know how to refer impedances from one side of a transformer to the other?

The internal impedance of the function generator and the impedance it sees from its terminals forms a voltage divider. If the two coils are tightly coupled and you have ##L \ll L_\mathrm{exc}##, then your system has a nice property in terms of the voltage that appears across the oscilloscope terminals.

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    I think you forgot a factor of 2π.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted