Robust linear estimation to guess parameters

In summary: I would recommend checking your code to make sure there are no errors. Also, make sure to use a sufficient number of iterations to ensure convergence.I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!
borson
Hi guys!
I am working on a project and I need to perform a robust linear estimation as described here:
https://postimg.org/image/t9b9fybtt/

I have to do this to the equation 43:
https://postimg.org/image/x4eniiuzl/

I have assumed that the final function that I have to minimize, basing on both papers,
is:
Sumatory of Xi*sgn(Yi+(b^2 - (Ymedian-n*Xmedian)^2 )+ n*Xi)and the median of X and Y data being: VF = median {yi − n*xi}
(I am assuming VF equals to that as it is stated in the 1st pdf ) (with VF being the omega letter.)

then, this function, minimized (by bisection) should give me the n and VF values correctly fixed. However, it doesn't.
this is therefore why I think I am mistaken in something, for instance in the grasping of the problem or the process.it is supposed to be easy, just minimizing the function I have talked about above by bisection, but as it is giving me uncorrect results, I am really confused. I think I am doing something bad in the process.
Hence, I am questioning "my process" to see where I have failed. So that I have the following points/questions in which I may have failed:
-The equation 43 of the second paper, is the target to initially be minimized. As explained in the paper(the first), I have to turn the "target function" into another function (the one with the sgn) which is now the one I have to minimize. So well, in the first paper it appears with negatives signs in their variables, but as the initially target function (the equation 43 of the 2nd paper) has positive signs, I kept them. I did so, because I assumed that the second paper gave me the function already ready to be minimized by that method, and also, as it is shown in other parts of the pdf (2nd one, but I did not upload that parts), that function (without any summatory nor absolute values of course, but the rest remains the same) equals 0. I supposed that it means that no subtraction/difference of "errors" was required(I mean the calculation tipically used for this kind of problems: real data-calculated/predicted data was not necessary), because the function itself yields 0, so that if the parameters are mistaken, the result won't be 0, so just by minimizing the function in its original way it should work. (or at least this is what I guessed)
Only in the calculation of "VF" (of the difference between the medians) I have used a subtraction.
So this is the first point I am confused about, How should I pose the final function to be minimized (the one with the sgn)?
Should it keep its initial form as shown in the 2nd paper, with the variables summing?, or should I put negatives signs as shown in the 1st paper?.

-In the 1st paper, it states that in order to minimize that function, before using bisection, estimations of the parameters by least-squares have to be done.
I have not done that, nor needed any initial guess of that parameters to do the bisection, I do not see any need of that indeed. Why is it used for? I mean, Why does this paper use this?.
However, I have to say that I do know the interval in which the parameters that should minimize the function lie.
Well, summing up, I have posed the final function to be minimized as follows:
Sumatory of Xi*sgn(Yi+(b^2-(Ymedian-n*Xmedian)^2)+ n*Xi)

with VF = {Ymedian − n*Xmedian}

I use the bisection method, after some iterations it gives me mistaken results.
I use bisection in the following way:
C= (a+b)/2.0; A,B and C are different points of the X axis of the n parameter.
Once C, A and B are equal enough, I stop the iterations-process.
and I assume that n=A=B=C and that, basing on the lasts prescriptions,
Vf= Ymedian-C*Xmedian.I also leave The java code that I used just in case:
https://postimg.org/image/ode5osstl/I do not know what is failing
I hope you can help me
thanks for reading !
smile.png

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for sharing your project and your questions. I am a scientist and I would be happy to offer some guidance on your work.

First of all, it is great that you are using robust linear estimation for your project. It is a very useful technique for handling outliers and noise in data. From what I understand, your goal is to minimize a function by using the bisection method, and you are struggling with some aspects of the process. I will try to address your points and questions in order to help you understand the method better.

1. The final function to be minimized: Based on the information you provided, it seems like you have chosen the correct final function to be minimized. In the first paper, it is mentioned that the target function (equation 43 in the second paper) needs to be modified to include the sgn function. This modified function is the one you have mentioned, and it is the one that needs to be minimized using the bisection method. As for the signs of the variables, you should keep them as they are in the original function (equation 43 in the second paper). The negative signs in the first paper are due to the use of a different reference frame, and they should not be applied to your function.

2. The role of initial estimations: The reason why the first paper suggests using initial estimations of the parameters is to improve the efficiency of the bisection method. Without initial estimations, the method may take longer to converge, or it may not converge at all. In your case, it seems like you have been able to find some results without initial estimations, but they are not correct. I would recommend trying to use initial estimations and see if it improves your results. You can use the least-squares method mentioned in the first paper to find these initial estimations.

3. The bisection method: The bisection method is a numerical method used for finding roots of a function. In your case, the root of the function is the value of n that minimizes the function. The way you are using the bisection method (by comparing the values of A, B, and C) seems correct. However, it is important to note that the bisection method may not always converge to the correct root, especially if the function is not well-behaved or if the initial estimations are far from the true values. This could be one of the

1. What is "Robust linear estimation"?

"Robust linear estimation" is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a linear model. It is designed to be resistant to outliers and data that does not follow a normal distribution, making it a more reliable method for estimating parameters in real-world scenarios.

2. How does "Robust linear estimation" differ from other linear estimation methods?

Unlike traditional linear estimation methods that rely on the assumption of normally distributed data, "Robust linear estimation" takes into account the possible presence of outliers and non-normal data. This makes it a more robust and accurate method for estimating parameters in data sets that may have unexpected variations or noise.

3. What are the benefits of using "Robust linear estimation"?

One of the main benefits of using "Robust linear estimation" is its ability to provide more accurate parameter estimates in the presence of outliers and non-normal data. It also has the advantage of being less sensitive to the choice of initial values and model assumptions, making it a more reliable and versatile method for data analysis.

4. In which fields is "Robust linear estimation" commonly used?

"Robust linear estimation" is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, engineering, and social sciences. It is particularly useful in situations where data may contain outliers or have non-normal distributions, such as in financial market analysis or climate data modeling.

5. What are some potential limitations of "Robust linear estimation"?

While "Robust linear estimation" is a more reliable method for estimating parameters in real-world scenarios, it may not always be the most efficient or fastest method. It also requires a larger sample size compared to traditional linear estimation methods. Additionally, the results may not be as easily interpretable as other linear estimation methods, making it more suitable for exploratory data analysis rather than inference.