What is the pressure of CO2 at the nozzle exit of a rocket?

In summary, the problem involves a rocket with an initial mass of M = 30 x 10^3 kg and an initial acceleration of a = 3g. The rocket has four nozzles with a diameter of D = 20 cm each. The burned fuel exits the nozzle with a velocity of v = 2.0 km/s and a temperature of T = 600◦C. The exhaust gas is carbon dioxide CO2, and the task is to determine its pressure P at the nozzle exit, neglecting air resistance. The solution involves using the ideal gas law, knowing the acceleration and velocity of the rocket, and computing the mass of exhaust leaving the rocket per second to find the density of the exhaust.
Spiewgels

Homework Statement

Initial mass of the rocket is M = 30 x 10^3 kg, while its initial acceleration a = 3g. The rocket has four nozzles of diameter D = 20 cm each. Burning fuel leaves the nozzle with velocity v = 2.0 km/s having temperature T = 600◦C. Assuming fuel is burned completely and the exhaust gas is carbon dioxide CO2, determine its pressure P at the nozzle exit. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

What is the best way to approach this problem? Most of the time I can get the problem started because I know what I'm dealing with in terms of what chapter the topic came from. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something with the ideal gas law but I was told the problem would not have to worry about degree of freedom. I just need a booster so I can begin to work something out. (Thanks again to the last guys who helped me)

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, this is one of the few times I had nothing to start with. All I figured out thus far is that I will need to know that CO2 is 44g/mol.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the acceleration of the rocket and you know the speed of the exhaust. From this you should be able to compute the mass of exhaust leaving the rocket per second. Since you know the speed of the exhaust and the area through which it passes, this should let you compute the density of the exhaust. Then you are basically where you can start applying what you've figured out so far.

ok, i'll get started on it right away...won't get home off the bus for 2 hours so if you happen to be up check out some of the pending work

1. How does the pressure of CO2 affect rocket nozzle performance?

The pressure of CO2 in a rocket nozzle plays a crucial role in determining the performance of the nozzle. Higher pressure leads to a greater exhaust velocity, which results in a higher thrust and greater efficiency of the rocket.

2. What is the ideal pressure for CO2 in a rocket nozzle?

The ideal pressure for CO2 in a rocket nozzle depends on various factors such as the size and design of the nozzle, the type of propellant used, and the desired thrust and efficiency. Generally, a pressure range between 500-1000 psi is considered ideal for CO2 in a rocket nozzle.

3. How is the pressure of CO2 controlled in a rocket nozzle?

The pressure of CO2 in a rocket nozzle is controlled using a pressure regulator. This device regulates the flow of CO2 into the nozzle and maintains a consistent pressure throughout the rocket's flight.

4. Can the pressure of CO2 be adjusted during a rocket's flight?

Yes, the pressure of CO2 can be adjusted during a rocket's flight. This is typically done by using a variable pressure regulator that allows for changes in pressure based on the specific needs of the rocket at different stages of its flight.

5. How does the pressure of CO2 impact the overall cost of rocket propulsion?

The pressure of CO2 has a significant impact on the overall cost of rocket propulsion. Higher pressures require stronger and more expensive materials for the nozzle, while lower pressures may result in reduced thrust and efficiency. Therefore, finding an optimal pressure for CO2 is essential in balancing performance and cost in rocket propulsion.