1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rodmechanism relative movements problem

1. Jul 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    g73rnWh.png
    The rods are hengedly connected. O is fixed, C is free to move in the x-direction and AB is parallel to OC. OA turns around O with an angular velocity of ##\omega##.

further given: $$\theta = 30^{\circ}$$ $$|OA|=|BC|=l_1=0.30m$$ $$|AB|=l_2=0.40m$$ $$\omega=15rad/s$$ $$v_c = 6 m/s$$
    Question: Find ##v_{B}##.

2. Relevant equations
    $$v_{B,\text{abs}} = v_{B,\text{sleep}} + v_{B,\text{rel}}$$ $$v_{B,\text{sleep}} = v_{0'} + \omega '\cdot |OB| = v_A = \omega\cdot l_1$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I define a non-rotating coordinate system o'x'y' that is fixed in point A.
    k5eCsg7.png

$$v_{B,\text{abs,x}} = -v_{B,\text{tan}}\cos{\beta} + v_c = v_{B,\text{sleep}}\cos{\beta}$$ $$v_{B,\text{abs,y}} = v_{B,\text{tan}}\sin{\beta} = -v_{B,\text{rel}} - v_{B,\text{sleep}}\sin{\beta}$$ $$v_{B,\text{sleep}}=\frac{-\omega l_1\cos{\beta}+v_c}{\cos{\beta}}=7.5m/s$$ I think this is incorrect. $$v_{B,\text{rel}}=-v_{B,\text{tan}}\sin{\beta}-v_{B,\text{sleep}}\sin{\beta}$$ This can't be correct, because this is a negative number and I know from the solution that ##\omega_{BC} = \omega_{OA}## so, I believe, the velocity of B relative to o'x'y' should work out to zero.

What am I doing wrong?

(extra) written version: http://i.imgur.com/WAeCf8L.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, wouterbeke. Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that your ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## is the velocity of B relative to C. So, ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## is perpendicular to rod BC (rather than "tangent").

Shouldn't the y-component of ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## be negative? See your drawing of the vectors at B. You have written the y-component as positive.

4. Jul 14, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I must be misunderstanding something - it seems to be overspecified (and contradictory).
    If AB is held parallel to OC then the length of AB is irrelevant for most purposes. A moves at speed 15*0.3 = 4.5m/s. Its horizontal component should be half that, and C's speed should be double that, so also 4.5m/s. Should it say OA=BC=0.40m?

5. Jul 14, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree that the horizontal component of velocity of A is 2.25 m/s, but I don't see how to get that C's speed should be 4.5 m/s. The horizontal rod AB is rotating.

I get an answer that I believe is consistent with the given data, but I don't get that rods OA and BC have the same angular speed as stated by the OP.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  6. Jul 14, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I see - it's only transiently parallel to OC. Thought I must have had something wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted