Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Role of Bias Voltage in Semiconductor Light detector

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    Good day!, today, i visited an Institute about Semiconductor devices, One characterization device (Reflectance Spectrometer) which used to determine the reflectance of the semiconductor materials. This device used Semiconductor detector to detect the reflected light from the sample, but i'm confused because they used bias voltage on that detector and i don't why, is it for amplification of the reflected light? or is it for efficiency of the detector? i'm interested on the atomic level behavior (like in behavior ofcharge carriers in valence band to conduction band) Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    A photo diode is usually operated with reverse bias, so it is non conducting, and the photons create electron-hole pairs which are then swept to the anode and cathode. Quite a good Wiki article here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook