Proving Multiple Roots of a Function Using Roll's Theorem: A Scientific Analysis

In summary, the author of the proof claims that there is a number c in (x1, x2) for which f'(c) = 0. By rolls theorem, they say that we can get another solution "g" on the interval of (x1, c) using rolls theorem."...that the author of the proof claims that there is a number c in (x1, x2) for which f'(c) = 0.
transgalactic
question :
suppose that to the quadratic equation x^2+px+q=0
has two roots [tex]x_1<x_2[/tex]

prove that for
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d^n} }{\mathrm{d} x^n}[(x^2+px+q)^n]=0
[/tex]
there are n different roots on the interval (x1,x2)
??

the prove:
by rolls theorem we have a point "c" on the interval of (x1,x2) for which

f'(c)=0

then they say
"that we can get another solution "g" on the interval of (x1,c) using rolls theorem"

but its not rolls theorem
we don't have two points for which there is a point "j" for which f'(j)=0

we have f(x1)=0 and f'(c)=0 (but its not f(c)=0 )

??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that no one has responded because you haven't given enough information.
the prove:
by rolls theorem we have a point "c" on the interval of (x1,x2) for which
f'(c)=0
That's "proof." A proof is the mathematical statements you write to show that some conclusion is reached when you start with a certain hypothesis. To prove something, you come up with those statements. A proof is a thing; proving it is an action.

Anyway, Rolle's Theorem does guarantee that there is a number c in (x1, x2) for which f'(c) = 0. I'm assuming that f(x) = x^2 + px + q.

then they say
"that we can get another solution "g" on the interval of (x1,c) using rolls theorem"
Another solution to what? If f(x) = x^2 + px + q, there is only one solution to f'(x) = 0. You need to be specific about what equation g is a solution to.

Many of your posts come from questions you are asking as you read someone else's proof. If you don't include all of the preceding steps, it is difficult or impossible for us to explain how the author of the proof can make some statement.

Since the statement you're trying to prove (or whose proof you're trying to understand - this is not clear) involves the n-th derivative of a function raised to the n-th power, the most natural approach would seem to be a proof by induction, but there is no mention in your post that this is what is happening.

ok
my problem is very simple

if i have a function f(x)
and i have a point "a" for which f(a)=0
and i have point "b" for which f'(b)=0
is the a point "c" between [a,b] for which f''(c)=0
??

(i got one oint of f(x) and the other on f'(x) they are not on the same level)

Last edited:
transgalactic said:
ok
my problem is very simple

??
No, not in general. Here's a counterexample.
f(x) = x^2 - 1
f'(x) = 2x
f''(x) = 2
f(-1) = 0 and f'(0) = 0 so a = -1 and b = 0 and the interval is [-1, 0].
There is no number in the interval [-1, 0] for which f''(x) = 0. In fact, for this function, there is no number anywhere for which f''(x) = 0.

they say it in the proof .
they say that we got a point f'(c)=0 so we check [x1,c]
and between them there is another point "g" for which f''(g)=0
and they say that we keep doing then till the n'th derivative

you said that its not working for all functions
what conditions do i need for this to work??
i thought that for this stuff to work
for example:
and if f'(a)=0

but i can't see that they mention that each new solution is a solution to its anti derivative too??

transgalactic said:
they say it in the proof .
they say that we got a point f'(c)=0 so we check [x1,c]
and between them there is another point "g" for which f''(g)=0
and they say that we keep doing then till the n'th derivative

you said that its not working for all functions
what conditions do i need for this to work??
Probably the stated conditions of the problem.
transgalactic said:
i thought that for this stuff to work
for example:
and if f'(a)=0
My counterexample shows that this is not true for all functions.
transgalactic said:
but i can't see that they mention that each new solution is a solution to its anti derivative too??
"each new solution is a solution to its antiderivate" - this doesn't make any sense. Also, I asked in post 2 what you meant by "each new solution." Whenever you talk about a solution, it's always relative to some equation or inequality or a system of equations or inequalities. If I tell you that x = 6 is a solution, I'm not telling you anything meaningful if I don't tell you what this is a solution to.

You said in your first post that they say "we can get another solution "g" on the interval of (x1,c) using rolls theorem." What equation is g a solution to?

"You said in your first post that they say "we can get another solution "g" on the interval of (x1,c) using rolls theorem." What equation is g a solution to?"

i ment f''(g)=0

g is solution for the second derivative

the trick that they are doing is taking a solution of a function on n'th derivative
and a solution of the same function on the n+1 derivative

and they say that using rolls theorem we have a solution on n+2 derivative of this function on the interval of the n'th and n+1 x value solution

i can't understand how it could happen
??

Here's what I would do:
You're given that x^2 + px + q = 0 has two roots, x1 and x2, where x1 < x2.

Show that the equation d/dx[(x^2 + px + q)^1] = 0 has 1 root in the interval (x1, x2).
Show that the equation d^2/dx^2[(x^2 + px + q)^1] = 0 has 2 different roots in the interval (x1, x2).

If you can follow the logic of the proof you're reading for n = 1 and n = 2, that would be a good start at following what they're doing for an arbitrary n.

ok if i am given that x^2 + px + q = 0
and it has two roots f(x1)=f(x2)=0

so between them we have point 'c' for which f'(c)=0
of f'(x) i have only point c
there is no way to get a solution on f''(x)

??

for what condition x1, and x2 are solution on every derivative
??

i am given that f(x)=x^2 + px + q
so i can present f(x) as f(x)=(x-x1)(x-x2)
so if we look at n=2 we get
f(x)=(x-x1)^2(x-x2)^2

f'(x)=2(x-x1)(x-x2)^2 + 2(x-x1)^2(x-x2)=2(x-x1)(x-x2)[x-x2+x-x1]=
=2(x-x1)(x-x2)[2x-x1-x2]

so x1 and x2 are solution on f'(x)
but this is a practical observation.
what do i need to say so for g(x)=[f(x)]^n
then x1,x2 are the roots till the n'th derivative??

transgalactic said:
ok if i am given that x^2 + px + q = 0
and it has two roots f(x1)=f(x2)=0

so between them we have point 'c' for which f'(c)=0
OK, so you have verified that the original statement is true for n = 1, namely that the equation d/dx[(x^2 + px + q)^1] = 0 has 1 root in the interval (x1, x2). You're done with that part.
transgalactic said:
of f'(x) i have only point c
there is no way to get a solution on f''(x)

??

for what condition x1, and x2 are solution on every derivative
??

transgalactic said:
i am given that f(x)=x^2 + px + q
so i can present f(x) as f(x)=(x-x1)(x-x2)
so if we look at n=2 we get
f(x)=(x-x1)^2(x-x2)^2
Don't use f again, since you have already defined it above as f(x) = x^2 + px + q. You will confuse any readers, and yourself if you come along and redefine it as some different function. Use another letter, say g. (But don't also use g as a number in an interval.)
transgalactic said:
f'(x)=2(x-x1)(x-x2)^2 + 2(x-x1)^2(x-x2)=2(x-x1)(x-x2)[x-x2+x-x1]=
=2(x-x1)(x-x2)[2x-x1-x2]

so x1 and x2 are solution on f'(x)
So x1 and x2 are solutions of g'(x) = 0. (I changed the name of the function.)
Did you not notice that there is another solution to the equation g'(x) = 0? It's also possible to see exactly where this solution is in relation to x1 and x2.
transgalactic said:
but this is a practical observation.
what do i need to say so for g(x)=[f(x)]^n
then x1,x2 are the roots till the n'th derivative??

1. What is the Roll theorem?

The Roll theorem, also known as the Mean Value theorem for integrals, is a fundamental theorem of calculus that states if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

2. How is the Roll theorem used?

The Roll theorem is used to prove the existence of a point where the derivative of a function is equal to its average rate of change. This can be useful in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function, as well as in solving optimization problems.

3. What are the conditions for the Roll theorem to hold?

The Roll theorem holds when the function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the endpoints of the interval must be equal, meaning the function has the same value at both endpoints.

4. Can the Roll theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Roll theorem can only be applied to functions that meet the necessary conditions, namely being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval with equal endpoints.

5. How is the Roll theorem proved?

The Roll theorem can be proved using the Intermediate Value theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, it takes on all values between its endpoints. By applying this theorem to the function f(x) = g(x) - mx, where g(x) is the given function and mx is the line connecting the endpoints, it can be shown that there exists a point where the derivative of f(x) is equal to the slope of the line, proving the Roll theorem.