1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolle's Theorem

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    This is the last part of a problem that I'm working through. The problem is on Rolle's theorem.

Using Rolles Theorem prove that for any real number λ: the function f(x) = x^3 - (3/2)x^2 + λ never has two distinct zeros in [0,1].

So I was thinking about ways I could do this: but when I calculated f(0) = λ, wheras f(1) = λ-1/2, but to use Rolle's theorem isnt f(a) = f(b) on the interval [a,b]?? This has got me a little confused.
    Anyway I put that aside to try another way:
    I thought perhaps I should assume for contradiction that I should assume there are two distinct zeros at c1 and c2. So f'(c1 = f'(c2) = 0. But then using Rolles Theorem there is a root of f between c1 and c2. But now I don't know where to go with this next! Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    Rolle's theorem states that if a function is identical on two distinct points between which it's defined and has a derivative, then there is a point between them where the derivative vanishes.
    So after making the assumption, you have f(c1)=f(c2)=0 rather than f'(c1)=f'(c2)=0 (as you wrote), which means there is a point c where f'(c)=0, and 0<c<1. Is this possible?

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from "Calculus & Analysis".

Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook