Proving Rolle's Theorem: Proving Zero's of f(x) in [0,1]

• Thread starter nlews
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses using Rolle's theorem to prove that the function f(x) = x^3 - (3/2)x^2 + λ never has two distinct zeros in the interval [0,1]. The conversation also touches on the process of using Rolle's theorem and clarifies a mistake in the initial approach. The moderator also reminds the participants to post homework assignments in the appropriate forum.
nlews
This is the last part of a problem that I'm working through. The problem is on Rolle's theorem.

Using Rolles Theorem prove that for any real number λ: the function f(x) = x^3 - (3/2)x^2 + λ never has two distinct zeros in [0,1].

So I was thinking about ways I could do this: but when I calculated f(0) = λ, wheras f(1) = λ-1/2, but to use Rolle's theorem isn't f(a) = f(b) on the interval [a,b]?? This has got me a little confused.
Anyway I put that aside to try another way:
I thought perhaps I should assume for contradiction that I should assume there are two distinct zeros at c1 and c2. So f'(c1 = f'(c2) = 0. But then using Rolles Theorem there is a root of f between c1 and c2. But now I don't know where to go with this next! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolle's theorem states that if a function is identical on two distinct points between which it's defined and has a derivative, then there is a point between them where the derivative vanishes.
So after making the assumption, you have f(c1)=f(c2)=0 rather than f'(c1)=f'(c2)=0 (as you wrote), which means there is a point c where f'(c)=0, and 0<c<1. Is this possible?

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from "Calculus & Analysis".

Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Proving Rolle's Theorem: Proving Zero's of f(x) in [0,1]

1. What is Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b], differentiable on the open interval (a,b), and the endpoints of the interval have the same function value, then there must exist at least one point c in the open interval (a,b) where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. Why is it important to prove Rolle's Theorem?

Proving Rolle's Theorem is important because it is a fundamental result in calculus that has many applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also a key step in proving other important theorems, such as the Mean Value Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What are the steps to prove Rolle's Theorem?

To prove Rolle's Theorem, we must first show that the function is continuous on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). Then, we need to show that the endpoints of the interval have the same function value. Finally, we must use the Mean Value Theorem to show that there exists at least one point c in the open interval (a,b) where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

4. How do we know that the endpoints of the interval have the same function value?

We can use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that the function takes on every value between the function values at the endpoints. If the function values at the endpoints are equal, then the function must also take on that value at some point in the interval.

5. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to functions that are not continuous?

No, Rolle's Theorem only applies to continuous functions. If a function is not continuous, then it may not satisfy the conditions necessary for the theorem to hold. In such cases, other techniques must be used to prove the existence of zeros of a function.