Rolling Dynamics of a Rotating Cylinder on an Inclined Plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 7K views
TSny said:
In this problem, the theorem as applied to a fixed point on the plane gives the correct equation:

##mgsin\alpha= -(I_{cm}d\omega /dt +mR\;dv_{cm}/dt)## where R is the radius of the cylinder.

Here, the general relation ##\vec{L} = \vec{L}_{cm} + M\vec{r}_{cm}\times\vec{v}_{cm}## was used.

This is should be the same as I used a separately the eqns of center mass motion and rotational motion in my initial post, but it is not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sergiokapone said:
This is should be the same as I used a separately the eqns of center mass motion and rotational motion in my initial post, but it is not.

I'm not sure about your sign conventions when you wrote ##I\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=Fr##.

If you take positive values of ##\omega## to correspond to the direction of the initial angular velocity of the cylinder, then the equation would be ##I\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=-Fr##. Then I believe everything is ok.
 
TSny said:
I'm not sure about your sign conventions when you wrote ##I\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=Fr##.

If you take positive values of ##\omega## to correspond to the direction of the initial angular velocity of the cylinder, then the equation would be ##I\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=-Fr##. Then I believe everything is ok.

I have already written

sergiokapone said:
Again, if the body has already fallen. At the point of contact friction torque acts ##-F \cdot r##, which slows the rotation. And, of course, prior the torque the spin is not conserved.

In the first post was a mistake in the signum.
 
sergiokapone said:
This is should be the same as I used a separately the eqns of center mass motion and rotational motion in my initial post, but it is not.

Do you see how your equations are consistent with what I wrote?

##m\dfrac{dv}{dt}=F-mg\sin\alpha##

##I\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=-Fr##

Multiply the first equation by r and then add it to the second equation. This will get rid of the friction force F and you will end up with the same equation that I wrote.