How Long Does It Take for 10 Meters of a Rolled Flag to Unwrap?

In summary, the flag is d=2mm thick and D=30 m long. The flag is rolled and stuck on the ceiling, with the short side of the flag on the ceiling and the long side unwrapping back to the ground. The flag has a mass of M=30kg. The problem asks to find the time it takes for 10 m of the flag to be unwrapped, with 20 m still in cylinder mode, and the acceleration at that given point in time. Approaching the problem, we can use conservation of energy and the rolling condition to find a relationship between the length of flag still wrapped on and the radius of the cylinder. The flag's potential energy and kinetic energy can be calculated, taking into
Misheel

Homework Statement

The flag is d=2mm thick and D=30 m long. We roll the flag and stick the short side of the flag (long side is 30m, short side's length is not given) on the ceiling so that the flag unwraps back to the ground. Flag is M=30kg.
1. Find the time it takes to 10 m of the flag to get unwrapped (meaning 20 m is still in cylinder mode)
2. Find the acceleration at that given point in time.

p.s sorry for my bad English

Homework Equations

i guess :
D/M=p (linear density)
9bf78c292522f42f4e0f66afa0ac57d8.png

ed0ec2ed1783f9c2654b4acf7d432bec.png

a0d7330c667276327c0f3a71b83f8054.png

cfc2a039a2463bdb8c1245f37586c847.png

i am really not sure where to approach this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

i assumed that the rolled flag is just like the piled up cylinders each ones radius is d=2mm lesser than the outside one. and assumed the most inner cylinder had r0=2mm radius. So to find the most outer radius of the rolled flag i used the arithmetic progress:
2*pi* (r0+r1+r2+r3+...rn)=30m
(r0+rn)/2*n=15/pi
n=(approx) 22.31 which has to be integer so -> 22 (?)
and the most outer radius wud be rn=44*10^(-3)m=4.4cm

and after this i have no clue where to approach this problem
mass is changing, radius is changing... don't know where to pick the point if to write a torque equation :P
any advice would be really helpful. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Misheel, welcome to PF!

It is not an easy problem. I would use conservation of energy in terms of the wrapped off length. Note that the flag is rolling down: apply the rolling condition.
It is also needed to find the relation between the length of flag still wrapped on and the radius of the cylinder. Your approach with the arithmetic progression is a good start, but do it for radius and length in general.

ehild

ehild said:
I would use conservation of energy in terms of the wrapped off length.
so... so it means i have to find the relation between rotating flag's potential and rotating energy, and wrapped off flag's potential energy ? and the mass is changing right...
also
ehild said:
relation between the length of flag still wrapped on and the radius of the cylinder.
one is what i can't find >.< ...

Try instead to find a relationship between the length of flag left in the cylinder and the radius. Hint: As a first crude approximation, compare flag volume with cylinder volume.

Misheel said:
so... so it means i have to find the relation between rotating flag's potential and rotating energy, and wrapped off flag's potential energy ? and the mass is changing right...

The whole flag has potential energy which is the sum of the wrapped-off part and part till wrapped on. The kinetic energy consist of that of translational motion of the CM and rotation about the axis of the cylinder.

You have figured out that the radii of the layers make arithmetic progression. So the radius of the cylinder when there are n layers on it is rn= nD (D=0.002 m) and the length of the flag L=2pi(rn/2)n. Eliminate n and you get the function L(r)

sorry for asking a lot >.< but
translational motion is the motion of the object consisted of both straight and rolled part right ? (which means CM is in the air if we picture it ?)
and then where is the time coming ?

and thanks for all the advice :D

Yes, the CM of the whole system translates downward, but the system consist of the cylindrical part which moves downward and the hanging piece of the flag which is in rest.

If you choose the energy approach, you might get the velocity as v=dL/dt as function of L, the unwrapped length. You can get the time by integration.

1. How does the rolling flag work?

The rolling flag is powered by a motor that turns a series of gears and wheels. The gears and wheels are connected to a rod that is attached to the flag, causing it to roll up or down depending on the direction of the motor.

2. What materials are used to make a rolling flag?

The materials used to make a rolling flag can vary, but typically include a motor, gears, wheels, a rod, and fabric for the flag itself. The specific materials and design may differ depending on the manufacturer and purpose of the rolling flag.

3. How do you control the speed of a rolling flag?

The speed of a rolling flag can be controlled by adjusting the motor's speed or by using a remote control. Some rolling flags also have adjustable gears that can change the speed of the flag's movement.

4. Can a rolling flag be used outdoors?

Yes, many rolling flags are designed to be used outdoors. They are typically made with durable materials that can withstand various weather conditions and are often waterproof.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a rolling flag?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and usage to ensure the safety of the rolling flag. Some precautions to consider include keeping the motor and electrical components dry, avoiding placing the flag near any potential hazards, and regularly checking for any wear or damage to the flag and its components.